The Handmaid's Tale Series 4

So excited - series 4 starts tonight after 20 months without it.

Mixed reviews

Bruce have you seen Elizabeth Moss in “Top of the Lake China Girl” ?..Set in Sydney and NZ…That is a cracker. I’m not up on Handmaid’s Tale but she is up there with the best.

Tonight’s episode (3) is just too gruelling. was that waterboarding?

I think I’ve watched this but confused as I don’t remember it being called China Girl at the end.

When my daughter lived here, she used to watch this. I didn’t like it, as every time l looked up at the television, there was something horrific going on.

I think, if you like The Handmaiden’s Tale, you are probably a fan of Game Of Thrones as well?

To me…both horrific and l couldn’t watch them…

Much too gory for me too, I turned it off before the end.

I also think a certain kind of person could be influenced in the wrong way by such repeated brutality.
I won’t be watching it again.

After seeing a trailer a couple of years ago I knew it wasnt for me . I wont watch .

Have read the book - left me a bit bewildered and rather disturbed - but then Margaret Attwood often has that effect on me!

I would say so Annie .
Wasn’t it all so very much in the dark tho ?
I almost stopped watching but glad I didn’t .

Bur isn’t that Margaret Atwood envisaged , horrific goings on?
I saw Margaret Atwood in an interview and she said there was nothing in the book that hadn’t happened already somewhere in the world.

Can’t speak for others but I’ve never been in the least interested in what GOT has to offer let alone being a fan !

We stopped watching it halfway through series 3, it was just becoming a pointless exercise of brutality and misery. Not much sign of redemption at all. Apparently, series 4 is even more harrowing. No thank you!: :cry:

I wouldn’t mind so much but the series not true to the book at all. It seems just another season of gratuitous violence against women without a real story line now. At least the 1990s film was more in line with the book. Plus it had Aidan Quinn (swoon!)

I won’t be watching any more of it either, John, and for the same reasons you’ve said.

I agree with you.

The first series more or less followed the books as much as any TV series does though personally I didn’t think it made enough of the fact that Selena was one of the original intellectuals that devised Gilead’s philosophy and quite different to the character in the TV series.

The second series on is all new ground and nothing to do with the book other than the characters carry over - Series 2 and 3 I enjoyed, I haven’t watched enough of Series 4 to decide.

I have finished the series 4 and I enjoyed it. I don’t know if there will be any more but I think they rounded it off.

There were a couple of unsatisfactory parts, I would have liked to have known more about how Aunt Lydia and Janine ended up.

Would like to have seen the package ending up with the person it was addressed to. (too obvious?)

Over all I thought it was a satisfactory ending if that is what it was.

I think I have avoided spoilers if you haven’t watched all of it.

Watched the series. Loved it. It’s getting really gory but I think that’s part of the storyline. She’s slowly losing her humanity.