The good ole days

Can you remember the cost of your weekly groceries way back
I married in the 70s when £10 was a big order .

1 Like

Wait…I know we are supposed to keep receipts but this takes the biscuit, Ripple :joy:

I’d love a non-stick frying pan at 7/6, what’s that in today’s prices? about 12p?

1 Like

We got married in 1977 and our weekly shopping bill was approx £12. That was for 2 of us and we had a large dog then so bought dog food and biscuits for him into that. We always shopped at a small Tesco on the way home from work.

1 Like

When I lived in Chester in 1971 the two of us could go to the cinema, have fish and mushy peas on the way back and then have a pint in the pub for less than £1

1 Like

I can’t remember food prices as far back as 1966 but just before the currency decimalisation in 1969, I took over the housekeeping when my Mum was in hospital for a long time.
After the rent was paid, we had £4 a week to spend on gas, electricity, food and clothes.
At least £1 of this went into the gas and electricity meters - we fed the meters with shilling coins - the meters were usually calibrated to a higher price per unit so, depending on the price of gas and electric, you received a rebate of any overpayments when the meter man came to empty the meter - the meter man didn’t come very often and it was a day we always looked forward to!
I remember how we had to light candles if the electric went off at night and we had no more money to feed it.

Some food prices were fixed by the Government back then - I didn’t take much notice of politics when I was a kid but the fixed food prices were brought in to try to curb inflation, I think.

The price of Bread was Fixed - a large sliced white loaf of bread was 1s 8d (8p)

A large tin of Baked Beans or Soup was about a shilling (5p) although Heinz was always a penny or two more than other brands.
A pint of milk was 11d. - like a lot of things, it got rounded up to 5p after decimalisation.
We used to buy milk coupons from the Co-Op and leave them on the doorstep every night to pay for the milk being delivered the next morning - that was to stop thieving kids pinching the milk money from the doorsteps.

I can’t remember any meat prices - it was out of our price range and I didn’t eat meat anyway.

1 Like

Hi Pixie it’s fun isn’t …and there’s free gifts :grinning:

Mum used to get Coop divi I remember the number 107619

Do you remember there being freebies handed out from the EU butter mountain etc?

I remember next door getting butter and tins of stewed steak and mum being hopping mad because we didn’t qualify to get some

1 Like

A pint of bitter was 8 new pee.

1 Like

Decimalation was in Feb 1971 I remember a pint going up to 10 p in the lounge bar
it was 9 p in the public bar in a pub in Connars quay and i found pub games. there. loved bar billiards

1 Like

I was still at school and working part time in a gift shop. We had a conversion chart next to the till which we had to use to work out old to new money. It was quite stressful until I got used to it.

1 Like

I was shocked when Woolworths closed.I’d been spending money there since the 50’s.

1 Like

Mums 73528
Grans 11655

When I went to the Co-op I had to remember who I was buying for

2 Likes

Can’t remember the numbers now, but if I was cross with my mum for something, I used to give them Granny’s :smiling_imp:

1 Like