The Dyson Laser --> Is this technology taken a step too far?

Dyson launches its first vacuum cleaner with laser detect technology
Dyson’s most powerful and intelligent vacuum yet, capable of detecting, removing, sizing and counting microscopic dust for scientific proof of a deep clean.
But why so equipped and why would I need one, especially with the heavy motor right up at the holding end?
My wife finds anything heavy difficult to deal with and manoeuvre, so the small one she prefers is a lightweight job that has a shoulder sling. The shoulder sling allows her to concentrate on the suction hose end to good effect and for larger jobs such as carpets & rugs etc, she has me and the Shark for vacuuming which I deploy using my eyes without any laser ‘looking’ on my behalf.

2 Likes

The answer LD might lie in the price – £600 for a vacuum cleaner – no way! How on earth can a device like that actually be worth that amount?

I’ve also noticed how costly all Dyson products are, very much more than other manufacturers usually. They also often don’t announce the price of these devices until marketed and TV advertising seems to always omit the price.

Personally I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner and it’s been very good. However, that make was only purchased on recommendation of family and the fact that after 10-12 years my old Hoover was in need of replacement. I don’t believe in purchasing either just to keep up with technology or the Jones’s.
:grinning:

1 Like

Maybe carpet manufacturers could make carpets that didn’t require such an in depth vacuuming?

whats the point of this? Do you have to chart it every time you vacuum to see if its performing well? Or to check if you are dirtier than last week? :joy:

1 Like

They are also counting the amount in their bank account – the profits they are making simply by psychologically ‘persuading’ (confusing) customers as to the real need for devices such as this.

My vacuum cleaner is just a basic model and my home and carpets are as clean as anyone else’s, possibly very much cleaner than some.

2 Likes

I just have a wee basic one to do the mats with. Everything else is wooden floors anyway. I remember when the kids were tiny though, and we couldn’t afford to replace the hoover for three weeks. I had to get on my hand and knees every day and brush the carpets with a dustpan and brush…not happy! :frowning:

1 Like

I can well appreciate that situation and not being happy with it but £600 for a vacuum cleaner is I believe, simply extortionate. Think how long you would have been using a dustpan and brush if that had been the equivalent price of your new vacuum cleaner in those days!

2 Likes

I dread to think! :scream: I may have resorted to using sticky tape and got the kids to help me :joy: Good old fashioned family fun! Haha!

1 Like

The lightweight job from Coopers serves my wife well:-