The City of London's biggest, ugliest, skyscraper

No doubt you are of a generation when new office and residential blocks in London were badly designed, ill-thought-out. Thankfully much of that has now gone, lived its life, served its purpose, to be replaced by IMO something better. Of course another option would be to live in the past with progression on hold. Maybe build these glass towers somewhere else, out of sight of historic London.

1 Like

Where I was born in Croydon it had a lot of ancient buildings and still has some but not many…
this one is about an olde pub…

Croydon and Bankruptcy

Croydon’s old Surrey St Market…

https://museumofcroydon.com/kings-coronation-23#:~:text=It%20is%20alleged%20that%20Surrey,to%20be%20held%20in%20Croydon
The Surrey St Market Today!

High Rise Buildings

Almshouses in George Street are still there!!!

a mix of links and you can search within if you want to know about the downhill spiral of Croydon…

1 Like

I know :pensive:

1 Like

Very kind , Croydon is a toilet, horrible place unless you fancy getting sliced.

1 Like

Oh no, I’m not against progression, they should just avoid building these space-like objects next to old, but still very attractive buildings. :smiley:

2 Likes

Was a wonderland one time for Me…

Croydonist guest writer Tania Rahman talks about Croydon's Saxon history.

In fact, in 2014 an Anglo-Saxon skeleton was discovered under a driveway in Purley, Riddlesdown Road. It is now on display at the Croydon Clocktower but was originally thought to be a murder victim. In 2015 another Saxon skeleton was discovered in Lion Green Road in Coulsdon, with 6th and 7th century knives, which were probably grave goods. There are still several buildings and landmarks in Croydon with Anglo Saxon origins including Selsdon De Vere Hotel and Croydon Minster. The official website of the De Vere Selsdon Estate even mentions this, ‘De Vere Selsdon Estate has a story to tell with roots that go as far back as the 9th century. Since then an Anglo-Saxon hall, a medieval estate for the Knights Templar and a Victorian country seat have been a few of its former lives.’ While the Croydon Minister website tells us ‘Croydon Minster has a long and distinguished history. It is believed to have been founded in the Saxon times since there is a record of “a priest of Croydon” in 960 (AD)’. But the best evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlement is the cemetery at Park Lane where grave goods including weapons and a bowl of hazelnuts were discovered.

anglo-saxon croydon

Anglo-Saxon cremation urn, found at Edridge Road, dated AD 410-775

This confirmed what I had read while working in the Anglo-Saxon gallery at the British Museum, not only about their warrior culture but also about their belief in the afterlife as they were buried with their most treasured possessions. This person was most likely a warrior. The bowl of hazelnuts was probably meant as an offering to their Underworld. There are also archaeological records of this on the Croydon Council website. Most people visiting the Anglo-Saxon gallery at the British Museum are usually looking for the Sutton Hoo collection or are looking for medieval or Viking weapons, as they are unaware of Anglo-Saxon warrior culture, so I recommend the collection to them. There is still evidence of Anglo-Saxon culture today. Even though they converted to Christianity almost completely in the 6th century, it is thanks to their pagan gods that we have the days of our week; the gods, Tiw, Woden and Thor give us Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday while the goddess Frige gives us Friday. Sunday and Monday are derived from Sun and Moon. Meanwhile the Saxon epic warrior poem Beowulf is one of the earliest pieces of literature and was made into a film by best selling author and Whitgift alumnus Neil Gaiman.

I first learned about the Saxons in primary school only because they were defeated by the Normans in the Battle of Hastings, so I had no idea how important they were to British history until I started to work at the British Museum and then discovered their role in our borough’s history.

https://museumofcroydon.com/research-room

1 Like

When I worked in London the tallest building was the Post Office Tower.
Walking to work I would go out of my way just so I could admire St Pancras.Victorian architecture is more my style.

2 Likes

Never liked the Post Office Tower, it’s out of place. Don’t like that big wheel near Westminster Bridge either. And I prefer the decorative old stuff, but we need new, just needs to be done right, in the right place.

1 Like

That 70 something floor monster would be well suited to Docklands but not The City.

1 Like

I’m going to have a sneaky peek at Croydon via Google street view…I’m intrigued (and staying safe!)

1 Like

Aha!
A peeking pixie :wink:

1 Like

I followed the tram lines…wasn’t as grim as I’d imagined. Still not great though. Didn’t go into any streets though

No, in fairness there are some nice old streets. The modern buildings look awful but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Yes modern buildings anywhere are tasteless. That last photo @d00d posted is “good” as a photo, but all that shiny greyness is just soulless. :frowning:

2 Likes

Clusters, that’s what they call them, are a good idea. Keeping the high-rise together and the low-rise together.

1 Like
2 Likes

Nice view

Here’s a couple of pics I took with a long lens a couple of years ago around Bishopsgate:

The first one features the CheeseGrater and the WalkyTalky. The second I don’t know.

Was a wonderland one time for Me…

Croydonist guest writer Tania Rahman talks about Croydon's Saxon history.

In fact, in 2014 an Anglo-Saxon skeleton was discovered under a driveway in Purley, Riddlesdown Road. It is now on display at the Croydon Clocktower but was originally thought to be a murder victim. In 2015 another Saxon skeleton was discovered in Lion Green Road in Coulsdon, with 6th and 7th century knives, which were probably grave goods. There are still several buildings and landmarks in Croydon with Anglo Saxon origins including Selsdon De Vere Hotel and Croydon Minster. The official website of the De Vere Selsdon Estate even mentions this, ‘De Vere Selsdon Estate has a story to tell with roots that go as far back as the 9th century. Since then an Anglo-Saxon hall, a medieval estate for the Knights Templar and a Victorian country seat have been a few of its former lives.’ While the Croydon Minister website tells us ‘Croydon Minster has a long and distinguished history. It is believed to have been founded in the Saxon times since there is a record of “a priest of Croydon” in 960 (AD)’. But the best evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlement is the cemetery at Park Lane where grave goods including weapons and a bowl of hazelnuts were discovered.

anglo-saxon croydon

Anglo-Saxon cremation urn, found at Edridge Road, dated AD 410-775

This confirmed what I had read while working in the Anglo-Saxon gallery at the British Museum, not only about their warrior culture but also about their belief in the afterlife as they were buried with their most treasured possessions. This person was most likely a warrior. The bowl of hazelnuts was probably meant as an offering to their Underworld. There are also archaeological records of this on the Croydon Council website. Most people visiting the Anglo-Saxon gallery at the British Museum are usually looking for the Sutton Hoo collection or are looking for medieval or Viking weapons, as they are unaware of Anglo-Saxon warrior culture, so I recommend the collection to them. There is still evidence of Anglo-Saxon culture today. Even though they converted to Christianity almost completely in the 6th century, it is thanks to their pagan gods that we have the days of our week; the gods, Tiw, Woden and Thor give us Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday while the goddess Frige gives us Friday. Sunday and Monday are derived from Sun and Moon. Meanwhile the Saxon epic warrior poem Beowulf is one of the earliest pieces of literature and was made into a film by best selling author and Whitgift alumnus Neil Gaiman.

I first learned about the Saxons in primary school only because they were defeated by the Normans in the Battle of Hastings, so I had no idea how important they were to British history until I started to work at the British Museum and then discovered their role in our borough’s history.

https://museumofcroydon.com/research-room