The Bane of my Life! - THE SWEDE

I would have boiled them for twenty mins to half and hour until soft then roasted. They are great in mash, stew or soup. Perhaps you had a rogue one!

I think it must have been a rogue one. Any I have used have been tender just roasting 30-40 mins or boiling for around 20 mins.

Yes, sounds like a rogue swede! I know a swede can be left safely for 3 to 4 weeks before it starts turning soft and goes off, but I never leave it for more than 5/6 days before using it up.

If I am roasting it, and I can get to the stage of cubing it into 1inch cubes without cutting my fingers off, I usually put them into a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes before draining them, putting them back into the saucepan onto a very low heat just to get rid of the excess water for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to the roasting tin with the other veg, oil sprinkled over them and roasted for 25-30 minutes. I never trust vegetables to be soft enough by putting them directly into the oven for roasting, potatoes, thickly cut carrots, swede, turniip, all my veg get the 10 minute boiling water treatment first.

I certainly don’t like my veg overcooked, but likewise, I loathe veg that has been roasted for the required time and yet turn out soft AND hard in parts. At least by doing it the way I do, the veg never fails to turn out soft.

Sorry, hate food cooked al dente. :surprised:

Yes I should probably have boiled first, but still don’t think I’ll try again with this flavourless cricket ball.

Honestly Xandra, Swede tastes lovely with a sprinkling of Nutmeg and a knob of real butter, or home-made carrot and swede mash (or even mashed with potatoes, carrots and finely chopped cooked onion to accompany He Who Must Obey’s favourite mid-week meal of Veggie Mashed Potato, Pork Sausages, Garden Peas and Onion Gravy).
A swede goes on my shopping list without fail.

LOL - no vegetables ever go to waste in this household. If I can’t use them all up for dinners before buying fresh I just cook all of the last of them, Potatoes,Swede, Onion, Carrots Sweetcorn, Peas, - for MY favourite breakfast - Bubble & Squeak with a Poached Egg on top. Yum

Please don’t let one rogue swede put you off

:lol::lol:

was the oven on? :lol:

53 posts about a vegetable, now 54! Now that’s pretty good going, often posts about far more serious subjects than that don’t even get one post! :wink: :slight_smile:

There are so many lovely vegetables out there, I think swedes would come pretty low on my top hundred.
Potatoes are probably the most versatile, but which are the most delicious?

Savoury swede cakes :smiley:

Mashed and held together with egg & bread. Add your own flavours (google), fry. :cool:

I find sweet potatoes equally challenging SG!

Many veggie recipes use them because of the protein content.
I remember at one point through a curry recipe I couldn’t get my (professional standard) Cook’s knife through one.
Even with all my upper body pressure on it, it wouldn’t budge!
So I tried to retract it… but it was stuck fast in the dense, orange flesh!!

In the end I had to get another knife and start cutting into the centre from the other side. I was so scared of slipping my hands on to the embedded and up-turned knife… I eventually prised the dang potato open with a wooden spoon!!!

I also buy the frozen variety now!!! :smiley:

What is strange is that sweet potatoes are much tougher than ordinary potatoes when raw but they cook in half the time. :shock:

Twilight Zone stuff indeed! :smiley:

I know! :shock:

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/horror/scared-ghost-smiley-emoticon.gif

I made a lovely curry with sweet potato chunk, lentils & chickpeas.

Swede … pah …wishy washy, not proper nosh for a hard working vegan.

:lol: Fascinating isn’t it Baz?

As belonging to Irish stock, there has always only ever been one potato variety in my household, as it was when my Dad had a garden full of them…the great Desiree… a beautiful red potato with a yellowy cream potato when peeled. For new potatoes, it was always the Jersey Royal for years until the interfering EU stopped Jersey having the always used seaweed as fertilizer and the authentic taste disappeared forever. Now I buy only Charlotte or Lincoln new potatoes as they have a great flavour.

Hey - now we are out of eurofilth will Jersey Royals return to their proper flavour?

Very, it certainly beats many other threads about other subjects. I will definitely have to think about what threads to start in future!

Now, I wonder, how about a thread in favour of the humble Brussels sprout? :wink: :slight_smile:

Why Not?? typical when it is the top veggie that those taking Warfarin (Moi) should avoid as this little beauty is packed with Vitamin K. :mrgreen::mrgreen: Like Marmite, Sprouts you either love or hate. I happen to love them but boo, hoo, can’t have them. :confused:

ST, that is my fervent hope as well. It’s almost 25 years now since it was banned. I was still the idiot who waited for the first baby Jersey Royals to come onto the shelf and pay ridiculous money such as £3 for a tiny bag of them to accompany one meal just so I could get a taste of that beautiful earthy, unique Jersey Royal taste.

I thought at first it was my age and that I was perhaps losing my taste buds, but no, the EU had ruined that potato for ever. RATBAGS!