The Automobile, friend or foe?

Same here Ulla. Is Sweden pushing for all electric cars like the UK is?

I’d say more of a necessity, public transport is a joke , and expensive, folk need to travel more since most of our large employers have disappeared, or scaled down their workforce, cars are greener and safer than they’ve ever been.

For my wife and I, there can be no substitute for a gas engine car. Our one is a Suzuki and at zero annual road tax is obviously very fuel efficient. We do not cover a high annual mileage, so our contribution to the rising CO2 levels is minimal. If hydrogen for combustion was readily available, then I would consider the relatively simple conversion from petrol, but I doubt if this will be offered as there is too much big money tied up in electric cars and their batteries.

The Automobile, friend or foe?

It was good whilst it lasted.

In the 21st C. we should all be living in high-rise blocks, a room with a view, with conveyor belts to take us here & there. The idea of us living in the sticks with a personal automobile is becoming more no no. There will still be wheels to take us to far flung spots to see how folk used to live, they will be shared/hired. It’s not going to happen overnight.

No, not pushing but you can get a government subsidy if you buy an electric car. Anyway with the lack of public charging points it’s not on the cards as far as I’m concerned.

Of course special dispensation on a personal level would be made for the disabled Ullabi…:wink:

There are plenty of things we can do to provide locally Dachs, our love of out of season foods must stop, it’s just ridiculous shipping food halfway around the world, it’s an expensive luxury we can do without. There are changes to society that did not originate from the rise of the motor car. But I believe most major changes were attributed to the private car hence this thread. Like it or not though, we can not continue down this path, congested roads, pollution and the energy wasted sourcing materials, building vehicles, and the fuel used driving them. There are some major changes coming concerning personal transport, it’s something that we can no longer afford, both environmentally and financially.

I’ve just bought a bike, which I am hoping to spend many a happy hour riding when I finally make the break and retire. The trouble is, riding on the road scares me to death. So, from my point of view as a prospective cyclist, the automobile is my enemy. The fewer there are on the roads, the better, as far as I’m concerned.

definately a friend. If I had not got one my next door neighbour some years ago would have died. His ladder slipped while cleaning an upstairs window and his hand went through the glass severing a good portion of his wrist.
Luckily i was there when it happened in my front garden. Cutting the story short on reaching the hospital i was told later on that another 5/10 minutes he would have died. Without my car and driving like an idiot!!!
He had 8 hours of surgery and umpteen pints of blood. The car was a life saver

One of the reasons my bike is languishing up in the loft Harbal, it was becoming a nightmare out on the roads, and Mrs Fox getting knocked off her bike and seriously injured didn’t help…:frowning: There is the possibility that I might ride again when it get too much of a struggle to run, hence the bike still being in the loft and not flogged, but I fear Mrs Fox will never ride again…

Congratulations on being a hero, realspeed, but if your neighbour would stop going up ladders when he is obviously incompetent, and pay a window cleaner, you wouldn’t need to be polluting the atmosphere with your car.

PS. give my regards to your neighbour. :001:

He has since passed away, this was 30 years ago but a life episode one does not forget. No hero just an on the spot reaction to save a life

That’s a shame, Foxy, but no one could blame her.

Had you not had a vehicle and he would have died it would have been terrible realspeed, but what about all those people who died in similar circumstances before anyone had personal transport? All the lives saved since we all have mobile phones, there must have been millions of people who died when a mobile phone would have saved them? What about all the people who are still dying because nobody knew how to administer CPR…? We all do our best to save a life but we can only do that with our limited resources…You neighbour was lucky but not a reason to make a personal vehicle essential.

So it was all for nothing. It sounds like he was determined to die, one way or another.

Thanks Harbal…

Perhaps we could ride together someday Harbal…:smiley:

Perhaps have a run down to the midlands and meet up with Spitty?

He lived for several years later

That’s a fantastic idea, Foxy, but only if it’s off road. :cool:

Some people prefer a slow death, realspeed. :001:

:044::044::044: