TESCO automation

Looks like our store now requires you to download app to your phone. :pleading_face:

What happens if you don’t?

Some of the stores here want you to download the app but nothing happens if you don’t. I can still shop online or in the store with a form of payment.

1 Like

If my local Tesco does that, then they will lose my custom as I do not own a smartphone AND have no intention of buying one either.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
They lost my fuel custom when they chose to do away with a cash/card desk in favour of card-in-pump; now I simply use Sainsbury’s directly opposite Tesco and pay at the desk to a human being👍.

7 Likes

I do my grocery shopping online . Sainsbury’s & Ocado.
I often get a email asking to download the app , nothing happens if you don’t.

Also I never pay at the pump it’s still possible to pay at the desk.

1 Like

It’s called GetGo and it’s only in a very few city Tesco Expresses, not your ordinary Tescos, so it won’t affect most peoples Tescos shopping, in store or online

https://www.tesco.com/zones/getgo

At Getgo stores you can download the app and the club card app and then basically use your phone as a scanner

You go round the store choosing what you want, scanning the bar code with your phone, and then put it straight in your shopping bag.

The app automatically takes payment via your phone as you leave the shop so no need to go through any checkout etc

It’s only in a very few places and the website says most of those places have the usual checkouts as well

But there was an incident last year where a customer was told he couldn’t buy a sandwich in a Getgo branch without the app :scream:

2 Likes

They have placed barriers at the aisles.

All very well is you have the technology, we do not.

I don’t want to deviate but the more automation the less chit chat/banter at the till.

I quite enjoy shopping with real people be they staff or fellow customers, just engaging with others I suppose?

And I’m not dismissing online options either, as long as it remains an option.

1 Like

??? That can’t be your store. It just opened today. It’s just a trial store of the chain supermarket. Judging by how those rollouts have gone at other stores, it’s likely not to have an impact on most shoppers for a very long time.

No it is not, but that is what ours looks like now.

Note the date of link: 19th October 2021

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your store. I apologize for not looking at the date of the article.

We are likely to start shop at local smaller stores; just what are Tesco and Sainsbury’s up to?

Sainsbury's shoppers outraged as barriers force them to scan their receipts to leave | Daily Mail Online.

Same as LongDriver. No smartphone here, and there never will be. However, I do use the Tesco hand scanners but there is always someone on hand to validate my red wine purchase (they don’t believe I’m over 21 without producing my bus pass :grin: ) and have a nag with.
You can still pay cash at some of the pumps at my Tesco, so I’ll fill up there as long as they do.
I pay cash where ever I can. I don’t think Tesco will exclude normal shoppers with usual methods of payment. They have no need to, because as us oldies pass away, the next generation will never have had to pay with coin of the realm, so will accept what is the new normal.

What is the app for?

That’s good news then as I never use our local T’Express. It’s a disgustingly dirty and somewhat smelly mini store (its a right minger) that stocks little and what it does have on it’s shelves is expensive and not my 1st choice.

2 Likes