Tennis at three in the morning...an Andy Murray Epic

Came in from town about 1115 and Andy Murray was just starting against Kokkinakis.
Two sets down and behind in the third,still playing in the fifth over five hours later.
But should any sport be making their stars perform in the middle of the night?
Not unusual in the Aussie Open but thoughts please?
Good for us over here of course!
No idea who is going to win.
Result to follow.

Murray wins fifth set 6-4 in a match lasting 5 hours 45 minutes.
The longest match he has ever played finishing at five past four in the morning.
11th time he’s come back from two sets down.

1 Like

Murray played exceptionally well after being 2 sets down.

I didn’t think he would make it to the end but he persevered on his overtired legs and won the match at 4.05am. Well done Sir Andy!

1 Like

Brilliant stuff.

People usually complain because it’s too hot perhaps it’s a heat thing.Not that it was very hot this year.Apart from combative sports are there any, other than tennis, where the participant never knows when it will end?

I think there you have it.Good for the TV company too.

1 Like

It’s the starting so late gets me.
There are finishes this late every year.
Wimbledon-even with the roof shut-has to finish at 11.
And the French and US open which have night sessions haven’t,as far as I’m aware, had such late finishes.
Never seen a live US open game at 9am here!
Wonder what the TV audience was when it finished.
It was only on pay tv here.
Fortunately I have Eurosport.
Struggling to think of another sport of indeterminate length except perhaps snooker.
Terry Griffiths and Cliff Thorburn once finished a match at 4am!
But as Joe Durie asked on commentary’Has Tiger Woods played Golf at 2.45 am or Lewis Hamilton driven a Grand Prix?’"
Only Tennis asks such things of it’s players.

1 Like

I think most sports governing bodies are more concerned with revenue than the welfare of their players.

1 Like

Sadly.

I stopped watching when he was two sets down and down in the third… kicking myself now. Did anyone else notice he seemed irritated by the crowd… I noticed it in the playback he seemed annoyed for some reason possibly because the crowd were so partisan

Well done Andy!!

1 Like

He often looks annoyed on court!
No different to the crowd getting behind him at Wimbledon.
Playing the night session again today(Saturday).

Murray is still a fighter and has the crowd rooting for him in this match.

He gave everything again today.
But I think the match the other night caught up with him.
Thought we were in for another five setter when he broke serve at the start of the 4th.

1 Like