Teesdale waterfalls anti-nuisance rules come into force

Apart from certain parts of Dartmoor, wild camping is not permitted in England nor Wales, so they’d potentially be in trouble anyway unless they had permission from the landowner (whoever that is).

1 Like

Additionally, these rules have been made necessary because of the countrywide irresponsible behaviour of morons on public land during the pandemic and which is currently evidenced by the recurrence of wildfires throughout the UK caused by morons and their disposable barbeques.

1 Like

Heard what you’re saying, but it’s unclear whether these are actually new rules or just clarifying/spelling out what’s already in place to make it simple for certain undesirables with lesser, er, empathetic imagination, to read in online or poster form.

1 Like

New rules targeting anti-social behaviour at three waterfall beauty spots have come into force.

Why do people behave badly ?
I have never been wild camping or even used a disposable barbecue and have no plans to do so in the future but even when I was young and we went on picnics etc we were always careful of the countryside . No one gave us lessons on being environmentally responsible we just were.

1 Like

Okey dokey. No point arguing with you over whether these are already statutory or not, since you’re not making the claim and you’re just citing the council.

Anyway, as you imply, the real issue is that once again the actions of a small minority of cretins will make things a little less lax and liberal for the majority.

3 Likes

Helpful links:

Published August 11, 2022 9.57am

New measures to tackle anti-social behaviour at a popular Teesdale beauty spot have come into force.

We have introduced a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) in the area around High Force, Low Force and Gibson’s Cave.

PSPOs

Public Spaces Protection Orders

Guidance for councils

Additionally, there is a Parliamentary Bill in progress:

https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3068

Disposable Barbecues Bill

Private Members’ Bill (under the Ten Minute Rule)

Originated in the House of Commons, Session 2021-22

Last updated: 29 April 2022 at 16:16

1 Like

If you could solve that, then we wouldn’t need to lock our doors and have to worry about letting our offspring go out to play in parks relatively unattended.

I suspect that it’s always been a proportion thing. With increased global population there will be a larger number of incidents (albeit possibly not fractionally different), which thus require a more harsh response to try and protect things.

Edit - thanks for that info Omah. Let’s hope it helps, eh?

1 Like

We all have to abide by rules and regulations.
Has Durham County Council considered how these rules are going to be applied?

Some of them are open to interpretation, I’m not spoiling for a fight here, far from it, given that councils are strapped for cash these days I’d be interested to know how they intend to make this work.
Good luck to them!

2 Likes

Enforcement powers for anti-social behaviour at High and Low Force

Enforcement and penalties

Neighbourhood wardens, our trained staff and Durham Constabulary have the power to issue a fine (fixed penalty notice) of £100 for failing to follow the PSPO. The fine is reduced to £60 if it is paid within ten working days of issue. If the FPN is not paid, you will be taken to court. The maximum fine is £1,000.

2 Likes

I wish the constabulary were so concerned about burglary .

1 Like

All well and good in theory.
Putting it into practice might be a different matter.

2 Likes

Of course, but something needs to be done to prevent this sort of countryside “litter”:

3 Likes

Hi

When I was working we did some postcode mapping for crime, social issues and enforcement costs.

Over 4 month period all enforcement agencies,fire service.etc, 83% of time was spent in dealing with 2% of the population.

That unfortunately is a fact of life today.

1 Like

Very true Omah,
That’s a disgrace! I’m thinking of getting a fishing permit for a local pond, it’s just that all the rubbish and discarded Stella cans are a bit off putting.

1 Like

Ugh that is a disgusting sight…its people like this who spoil it for the rest of us, and end up with areas being cordoned off :rage:

1 Like

I never understand people who leave this mess.
Are they so well off they can abandon tents just like that .
They lug all this stuff to the place why can’t they take it back when it’s so much lighter ?
The answer is bring back the stocks so they can be pelted with all their own abandoned litter ,

4 Likes

There are pop up tents for festivals and the like, which are made to be one off uses. Indavertently though, this gets interpreted as “Ack just leave it, somebody will bin it anyway”

2 Likes

This is what morons do at waterfalls:

Mountain rescue teams have issued a warning after a person was injured jumping off a waterfall in Neath.

Western Beacons Mountain Rescue team said it was the third incident at Sgwd Gwladus, a popular beauty spot near Pontneddfechan.

2 Likes

Honestly…some people! :roll_eyes: