Teenagers and Ballroom Dancing! Chances Missed!

Back in the day, as Teenagers still at school, Ballroom Dancing was being taught in the School Gym.

On a dry, rain free day, all of the trainee “Dancers” were girls.

Unless it was raining, when the boys were required to set aside the playing of Football, or Cricket, and get in there and start learning.

Sadly, as we would learn later (us lads) we missed out on learning something which could have a big payoff in later life!

As we got older, we’d be likely to go along to the local dance halls & try our luck.

Again, sadly, if we weren’t even a bit proficient in shuffling round the dancefloor, some other soul might well cut in and take your intended away from you.

So, that was not good planning, in hindsight!

Later on, when married and a fair bit older, it seemed to matter less, as dancing, properly, on a dance floor was not easy to do when the room was packed to the rafters.

But we might all reflect on the chances missed?

This thought was triggered by my, reluctantly, watching 'Strictly, when I thought “That could be me there”!

Especially when, at the Christmas Dinner Dance, some lads were sashaying round the Dance Floor, like professionals !

Any others feel the same?

Not so much chances missed, but I did love Christmas dancing at school, where we had to learn all the old dances for the Christmas fair. It was so much fun, but I got so much teasing for classmates because apparently I was the only one who actually enjoyed it and gave it my all with huge enthusiasm.

Chances missed though…yes, perhaps. I could be on the other side of the world by now.

Quickstep, Waltz, Hokey Kokey, and all that stuff!

One two three, one two three, one two three!

(Sorry, did I step on your foot?)

1 Like

Oh the boys timing :roll_eyes: Quickstep wasn’t their forte! :joy:

Maybe we should have a virtual, Covid free, contactless, Dance, at Christmas, here on the Forum.

All done by screen linking, as by our medics?

1 Like

I went to ballroom dancing classes and by the time we got to the foxtrot I left…
The next time I was married and some friends of ours wanted for us all to go to some dancing lessons nearby where we live…The Hall I think was the Church Hall…
What happened was funny…Husband got grabbed by the Teacher so that left me…Turned out nobody was allowed to dance with there partners.
So the Couple we went with June and Colin…he choose me and June got with another stranger…
We laugh and laugh and had to return as it was so much fun…Dancing was not really now the object.
We went for a few so called lessons, but it was not a place to learn…the Men had never really danced so was infact useless for them…
We still laugh about it though…My husband stood on the teachers feet so many times as well.

HaHa!

Good reply.

We can put together some words, from those days:-

“Excuse Me…Would you care to Dance?”

“My I But in?”

“Sorry, I was just leaving…!”,

Yes, tried all that but having ‘two left feet’ was rather a handicap I found!

Can I Have This Dance Smiley

Ted, I was initially confused reading you were a teenager when you had ballroom dancing lessons in school.

We had our ballroom lessons in junior school. I only remember that because two lads from our class used to shove each other around to see who could ask me to dance first, I can still remember their names and chuckle with the memory as one was a real tear away and the other probably grew up to be Professor Chris Whitty (bless him) :rofl:

Then I thought a bit more and realised that when we went on to the secondary school next door, it wasn’t mixed. The boys were segregated upstairs and the girls were downstairs. Even the playgrounds were separated.

So, (yes that word), it was probably a good job we were taught in juniors, 'cos there’s no way I would have danced with a girl. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I remember going ballroom dancing when I was young too, Ted.
Mum & Dad used to enjoy ballroom too. My Dad showed me how to Quick Step, he was pretty good too.
I never could get the hang of the Fox Trot though.
Memories ey . . .

I remember those lessons…forwards backwards cha cha cha…backwards forwards cha cha cha :slight_smile:

At Junior School (Mixed) we learned ‘country dancing’ - ‘Strip the Willow’, ‘Dashing White Sergeant’, ‘Roger de Coverley’, etc.,

Back home in the vacations there were always Ceilidhs - which were great fun.

But at Grammar School - girls only - there was no dancing at all ! :crying_cat_face: :crying_cat_face:

Went to night school to learn ballroom dancing - loved the Latin ones.

As soon as I discovered the best place to meet the fairer sex was out dancing somewhere (when not playing with my band), I soon became a good dancer and at my height, partners were thick on the ground.

It’s alright for some LongDriver, not so good for ‘two left footers’ like me though!
:frowning_face: :grinning:

1 Like

Perseverance Baz, that’s what’s needed. When I first started, I was a clumsy as could be, but I kept at it and as time passed, I became the one to dance with. I collected my Ist deep love from dancing, but later, she went up to Scotland for Uni and that was the end of what I thought could have been the one. My Uni days were all southern, so meeting up was very difficult and she eventually married another. Still kept in touch though and always sent be advance copy of all her books, but, married another.

Ah yes, perseverance. I persevere and always have done at most things and seldom just give up. The problem with dancing is you either have ‘rhythm’ or you don’t and I am one who is without that when it comes to dancing. I like music and listen to many different types and always did but as much as I enjoy that there is still no real appreciation of ‘rhythm’ for me. Strange isn’t it, but then many of us humans are ‘strange’, in our own very unique ways.
:thinking: :upside_down_face: :grinning:

1 Like

Oh yes, strange to say the least. At our tallest, I was a twiff over 6’ 6" and my wife was 4’ 10", the original odd couple, but we meshed perfectly and still do👍

Yes, strange but it wouldn’t do for us all to be the same! There’s a thread somewhere on OFC about dancing and rhythm, I must try and find it. Yes, found it, you posted on there too, here is the link:

Good to read that it all worked out for you and still does after probably many years. Mine didn’t but that’s not uncommon these days so no longer as unusual as it once was.
:grinning:

1 Like

Sad, really, as those, like me, who thought they’d best make out, at Football and Cricket, probably never did.

But we missed the fact that we might “make out”. at dancing.

One spin off was that the Huge Grand Pavilion Dance Hall, in our little town, did not survive much beyond the 1960s.
The loss of the railways service (Hull to Withernsea) probably helped by our indifference, saw to that.
There was a time when the top bands were often there & the fun seekers came from miles around to enjoy it.

Our fault - it’s long gone!

Anyway, my late wife was a good dancer and, rarely, showed any annoyance at my kicking, toe crushing, mis-timing, attempts!

:teddy_bear:

1 Like