Taking workplace pension at 55

Hi Caricature.

You are preumably talking about a private pension there. Every pension has its own rules terms and conditions of course.

One thing to note is that, at least here in the UK, if you take a tax free lump sum from your pension and then pump that same money into another pension to increase your overall tax benefits you can end up with huge tax charges.
It is known as “recycling”. Everything depends on how much cash is being used and what percentage that is of your “lifetime allowance”. I had to sign a declaration form when I started taking my pension stating if I was recycling or not.

Just reread the letter from my then workplace pension provider,

Quote:You are entitled to take a proportion of the pension in tax free cash, by transferring the pension to a new provider, tax free is limited to %25 of the pension. Under the ****** administered scheme the tax-free cash entitlement was more. Unquote.

It was a workplace pension under the money purchase scheme not a final salary one.

Hi

I beg to differ.

When I took redundancy, I could not go back to working for the Government as a direct employee for a year and a day without having my Pension reduced.

Time out, back again, part time, 29 and a half hours a week, fixed term contract and paid the lot into a Private Scheme, full tax relief and then took 25% of it, Tax Free, when I finished 3 years later.

If I had worked 30 hours a week, I would have been classed as full time and lost my original Pension.

The rules are complex, but workable.

Sounds similar to where I worked Swim, only for us the stay out period after taking voluntary redundancy was just 6 months. Quite a few people took the pay off and left and then came back as IT contractors 6 months later. They were absolutely quids in. I chose the easy life and just stayed as a long term employee until I eventually took VR.

So when you came back working part time what were you living on? The VR pay off money?

All workplace pensions are run in a slightly different way. To reiterate my situation, I can take 25% tax free at age 55 without this being further taxed. I have looked into this in depth now and whatever my company’s fault’s they do look after their workforce when it comes to pensions.
My plans are all but ready to be forwarded to L&G when I receive their letter very soon.
Thanks to all of you for the posts in this thread. The further advice has been very useful.:cool::cool:

I would say DO IT don’t think it.

Oddly I loved nights its just the World works on the dayshift. Expect a withdrawal period when you come off.

L&G must do all the pensions now. :-p Ditto mine was as you say.

Random posting but finding my feet again. :mrgreen:

A bit like the jet lag-type symptoms I experience every weekend I reckon! :o

Yes, they appear to be very good at it. They certainly keep me informed of changes, etc. :cool: