Taking workplace pension at 55

Yep can read perfectly well. Your OP asked about people who had taken pension at age 55 nothing more. No mention of whether they were still working or not.

Hope it works out for you floydy, no need for the rudeness towards you either, sadly another thread spoiled by it.

I agree Julie. :023:

Good news Floydy,light at the end of Your tunnel at last :wink:

Thanks Julie :slight_smile:

Rudeness in the thread wonā€™t stop me taking my pension though I donā€™t think Iā€™ll have enough for a yacht :cool:

Just as rudeness and personal threats towards myself wonā€™t stop me posting.

Floydy, I suspect that being able to stop working nights will be the best move you could makeā€¦so I would say take some of your pension now.:slight_smile:
I hope it goes well for you!

Thanks Twink. Gotta wait until October though :wink:

Look on the bright side, it is only 9 months and most of it will be in the summerā€¦ so less awful weather to travel through!:slight_smile:

:cool: One of the few perks of working nights is the quietness of the roads. Iā€™ll be meeting with the Pensions guy at my place nearer the time, plus HR to find out if I can get a similar job on days :slight_smile:

Good Luck with that.:023:

I took one of my pensions early (all of it, not just the lump sum that was on offer).

I had 2 work pensions, neither of them are worth a huge amount as I was only in the respective jobs for 7 years each.

The Royal Mail one paid out when I reached 60 (I could have deferred but chose not to) and included a modest lump sum and a small pension.

The other one wasnā€™t due til I reached 65 but I took it anyway, along with a virtually identical lump sum to the other one.

These 2 together each month plus the widowā€™s pension I get (again, not a huge amount but good enough) is nearly enough to keep me afloat. I run at about a Ā£30 per month deficit.

The 2 lump sums I got are more than enough to make up the deficit that I run at and the bonus being they are in high interest accounts so are working as hard as they can.

I decided (on a whim really) that I didnā€™t want to be a wage slave anymore and was chuffed when it all worked out so well.

I still have my state pension to come when I reach 66.

Wimp?

Tell me who were these comments aimed at, your post 5th Jan:

Care to say, or is it the case that YOU are the wimp?!

****Please keep personal bickering and arguments off the forums, any further off topic posts will be deleted. Thank you.

Iā€™m totally with you Nicol. Thatā€™s why I left my career too. More to life than sitting in an office and working for talentless management and seeing the country pretty much flatline peopleā€™s salaries whilst inflation rises.

My pension is indexed linked so goes up with inflation. Like you I will also have the State pension in later years. Luckily, my pension includes a bonus equivalent to that State pension until it comes in.

It felt nervy just walking away from work but I have never looked back. You canā€™t put a price on personal freedom.

I did too, I kept putting off making the final decision even though I knew I could more than manage financially.

But on the 21st August 2017 I walked into work, looked around me and thought ā€œYou know what? I donā€™t want to do this anymoreā€. I put my notice in there and then and, like you, I havenā€™t looked back.

Floydy, as long as you do your sums and are sure youā€™ll be able to manage on your pension(s) (minus the lump sum you take out) when you retire you should be fine.

Iā€™m jealous, I so wish I could afford to take early retirement, I didnā€™t use my noggin when I was younger and Iā€™m really regretting that now :cry:

Iā€™m still only 58 years old but I am so tired and drained trying to work full time and take care of a mentally challenged son and my 85 year old dad, I would so like to retire to free up some time.

LQā€¦Iā€™m only as financially secure as I am because my husband diedā€¦if he was still alive heā€™d be retiring next month, aged 60, when the mortgage would have been paid off. I would still have carried on working.

My 2 work pensions, I didnā€™t go into them by choice, they were statutory. And the widowā€™s pension speaks for itself :frowning: In my last job, which I was in for 14 years, I didnā€™t pay into a pension at all.

I m so sorry you lost your husband Nic, far too young (hugs) xxx

Out of interest which part of Royal Mail did you work in?