Swans in Flight

There is something special about Swans flying close by, especially when you hear the whoop whoop of their giant wings before you actually see them…

9 Likes

Beautiful,Rox, I have photographed them at Newbury canal, never seen one taking off though.

I must go down to the canal one evening ,just to see if they stay there, have you ever seen them together in pairs, as in mates, I’ve never seen anything like it, so loving to each other, :heartpulse:

1 Like

Yes, there is a pair on the pond in the park they have been together several years now and always have young ones. The river is just a few yards away and the ocean a couple of minutes flight so they really have picked a great home for themselves. I’m a wee bit worried about one of this years cygnets though as there seems to be something wrong with one of it’s wings. It’s sticking up in the air and it doesn’t seem to be able to fold it down into place. Don’t have a photo of it, but will get one next time I’m over to visit and feed them.

1 Like

How beautiful Rox, swans are such graceful birds…… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Rox , Really nice photo,s !! So majestic ain’t they ??
Two years ago we had a pair that brought off hatching eleven eggs !!!
Which they took more than eighteen months to rear and teach to fly !l used
to go down to the country park to watch them practising flying and to
count them, at last count l made it nine still with the parents ??
I must go down again soon to see what’s up this year ??
Donkeyman! :hugs::hugs:

2 Likes

Excellent shot Rox.
living near to the River Trent I hear them coming over and the Canadian Geese are very vocal as they pass by .

3 Likes

@Eliza ,. " last night l heard the wild goose cry ,
winging his way in the lonely sky,
tried to sleep but it weren’t no use
coz l am the brother of the old wild goose!!"
Donkeyman! :weary::weary:

3 Likes

I find water birds fascinating to watch when they land on water,
it’s almost as if they are on water skis!
:grinning:

2 Likes

very good Donkeyman,I didn’t know you was a poet as well

1 Like

I was checking my lobster pot at weekend and a swan kept chasing me away really quite funny everytime I stopped it came straight at me guessing it had a nest on shore or fancied lobster for diner cant post video but heres a pic anyway cheers

They are beautiful birds but can be aggressive

4 Likes

they can give a nasty nip , they have very strong Beaks.

3 Likes

I know, I used to feed one of last years cygnets by hand and I could feel the power in it’s beak. Would not like one to have a go at me…Or the dog, but I always put him in a down and stay before I go over to the swans.

3 Likes

Super photo’s Rox.

Amazing photos, Rox. When the Canadian geese start their trek south over New York State, many eyes look up at the noise and beautiful formations they let us enjoy.

1 Like

They can get quite aggressive and territorial but so can Canadian geese. Those things are so big that aeroplanes had to change their engines in order to stop geese from getting sucked in since they were taking planes down.

Note: a bit off topic.

Beautiful pics Rox
Don’t swans mate for life?

1 Like

@Eliza , l’m not, l confess l cribbed it from Frankie Lane l think it was ??
Donkeyman! :no_mouth::no_mouth:

you scoundrel, :rofl:

Yes Bratti they do. :hugs:

1 Like