Sustainable Power Isn't working

Bonded by resins.Thing is that with any load bearing composite such as hollow airfoils different resins in different areas and between layers. Such things as these are different from old world fibre glass constructs as - well chalk and cheese.

@The_Artful_Todger , When you say ‘hollow’ dont you really mean built
around a foam former ? You know the same stuff they clad all these high
rise buildings with ?
Surely the difficulties of using a solid re-usable mandrel to form such
a complex shape would be impossible wouldn’t it,??
The only other way to form a hollow blade such as is used on the turbines
that l can think of would be to use an inflatable former or mandrel ?
I am by no means an expert in this field but have interest in how things
are made and so like know the one and outs of the ‘cows arse’ so to speak?
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::+1:

No idea how the blades are actually made, probably in a number of ways. Horrible things though.

Wasn’t that firm originally a British company that sold out to the Danes who promptly closed the IoW site because there wasn’t enough work? Now they’ve reopened it I suppose because of all the off-shore turbines needed.

What is your aversion to them?

They’re ugly. That’s just for starters.

Large power stations are ugly and noisy. Wind turbines are quiet and many of them are at sea so you wouldn’t see them anyway.

1 Like

And they kill birds.

1 Like

But large power stations are few and far between and often masked from view. Wind turbines are springing up all over the place and spoil seascapes when offshore. Same with PV panels. Spoiling agricultural land and ugly. Fracking? Fine! Nuclear power - great (and now very safe).

2 Likes

Indeed, though not to the extent that GM crops do along with dreadful agrochemicals.Wonder where the bees and birds have gone? Agrochemicals are destroying the whole foodchain.

1 Like

And more reliable, and more productive.

Siemens makes large turbine blades in Hull, they invested hundreds of thousands of pounds building a new factory in Hull providing hundreds of jobs. This was despite Britain voting to exit the EU at that time. We visited Hull back in 2015 (I think it was) where one of the giant blades had been placed on display in the city centre when Hull was voted the city of culture.
It was massive and well impressive, and built here in Yorkshire.
The blades were constructed using a former and layer upon layer of a type of fibreglass.

1 Like

Forward thinking.
The only reason why European companies would fail to invest in this country, assuming they want to take advantage of what we have to offer, is the vast collection of rules imposed by the EU Commission who despise us for leaving their dictatorship. :roll_eyes:

Yes JB, even though I’m not a fan of wind turbines, I commend Siemens for continuing their investment and manufacturing here in Yorkshire despite pressure exerted on them to build elsewhere in Europe by the EU.

1 Like

More than you think. What’s that one just by the A1? There are an awful lot of residences there

Like it, subtle. :icon_wink:

3 Likes

That power station was Ferrybridge Besoeker, and is in the process of being demolished. As is Eggborough, both coal fired stations. Drax will soon be the next to close even though suitable alternative power supplies have not been established. People seem to have taken exception to coal fired power stations even though we demand more electricity and can’t afford the high cost of green energy. 30% of your electricity bill is a green energy and carbon tax.

Drax Drax (I know it sounds silly, but this forum won’t allow a four-letter answer! :rofl:

Yes, you’re right OGF. Ferrybridge is right next to the A1. Drax is further east.

And typically, the government are determined to close all coal-fired power stations in good time for everyone to buy an electric car, presumably hoping that they’ll all be powered by windmills!
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, silly me
:frowning:

1 Like