Sustainable Power Isn't working

As long as they don’t keep erecting them in the coastal area 18-20 to their East.

The seaside resorts were already in decline without all these hundreds of devices filling their eyeline.

Strangely, few of them seem to be spinning, when I look!

Even when they are, they’d be hard put to whack a flying bird, IMO, but that’s another story!

" The project is one of a number of large wind farms planned off the Yorkshire coast.
In February, the first power was produced by the Hornsea One development. Two other adjacent wind farms are under development.

The three sites will have more than 630 turbines standing 623 feet (190m) high, each built by Siemens in Hull."

I agree Ted. The horizon out to sea at Llandudno and Colwyn Bay are just full of the things whirring away. I can’t honestly see them lasting very long in a harsh marine environment, not without lots of regular maintenance at any rate. Which sort of begs the question…Just how ‘Sustainable’ and ‘Value for Money’ are these wind mills…

Quiet? Really? Au contraire, mon ami, some of them are damned noisy. We stayed in a cottage while our wet room was being converted into a proper shower room and there was a couple of turbines in the farmer’s field about ½mile away that you could hear swoosh-swooshing all day and night.

Nothing like noisy as power stations.

Denmark has a new plan for renewable energy, wind farms on an energy island.

Lets hope they don’t have too many days like today butterscotch…

If it hadn’t been for a Closed Cycle Gas Turbine station, and some nuclear power stations (and Drax, which is mentioned as a biomass station, but due to the wood chippings from Canada not getting through has had to resort to coal) the UK would have had to eat cold salads and been in darkness tonight…

What amazes me is the fact that we are importing wood chippings all the way from Canada when Drax is built on one of the biggest coal fields in Europe…Madness!

1 Like

For about 15 minutes over the weekend, California hit almost 100% of its energy from renewables, mostly solar.

How can anyone suggest that EV’s are a better alternative for the planet than conventional vehicles.

Tesla

1 Like

Gosh, there is a lot of information to absorb here.

And how many tonnes of earth are required to be moved to to get enough coal for one English fireplace?

Ya gotta love this Facebook science nonsense.

Gallons, pounds? Really?

@Bruce , Or one chinese power station Brucy ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, absolute madness, thanks to Boris, Carrie and the rest of the green lobby.
I pray (and that’s something coming from an atheist) that one day we shall obtain a real Conservative government with, unlike the present incumbents, their heads screwed on.

2 Likes

Exactly Bruce, and moving that amount of earth would not only supply millions of fireplaces, but several power stations as well.

2 Likes

Here’s a generator that seems to work after many have failed and either sunk or ended up on the beach, this one didn’t catch fire

@Bruce , Allready got one Brucy!
Its anchored up in scotland in the scapa flow l believe and is undergoing
further trials for upscaling !! :grin::grin:

It sounds promising Bruce but at 12 million aussie dollars for a mere 200 kilowatts (enough to boil 100 kettles) and forget about charging your EV, I don’t think it will pass muster on Dragon’s Den…

These things have a poor history, there was one off Port Kembla which was never really successful and ended up on the rocks, They seem to sink, or break free but for small isolated communities relying on a generator they might be OK.

Yes, I did a wave project for Islay in Scotland some years ago. It was a 500kW. It was de-rated to 350kW then scrapped. It irked me at the time - I drove to Scotland for the meetings, did all the calculations and I got recompense for that work. They just copied it. More fool me.

What happened to solar power today?
I see some coal was used to boost supply, and Drax has been on full power.
And how come we are supplying France?

Power Today 8 8 22