Surely only UK citizens can chose our PM?

What it does go to show is that it’s a perilous thing to do, to throw out what’s in place and replace it with the fickle political theory of the moment. Sure, the current monarchy needs trimming and perhaps a bit of a rethink in places (notably the financial arrangements), but there’s a benefit to having a long term historical thread in situ.

2 Likes

Is it not true that any group of like thinkers could set up a Party, in the UK, and ask for voters to back them in picking the leaders of such a new Party?

Haven’t the Commies tried it?

Why do posters just dig at the Tory Paty for making use of this?

I think it’s more to do with the fact that they will have had a say in the selection of PM, whereas the UK electorate haven’t.

1 Like

Absolutely Dex, you don’t always get to appreciate something until it’s gone.
:009:

1 Like

I remember Stephen Fry make the point that maybe Trump wouldn’t have been quite so outrageous if he had to go and bow and explain himself to an equivalent to the queen once per week.

1 Like

Was Trump ‘Outrageous’ Dex?
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Cheeky question foxy. He’s history.

Don’t be so sure Dex…
:sunglasses:

I have a go at the tories because they have become the de facto Brexit party. And sovereignty and freedom from the rules or controls of other countries was a big part of this. And the tories still go on about the UK being free of non-UK influence. And yet here we are with this very party being happy to have non-UK people vote for our PM. (And that’s before we get into non-UK donations to the tories.)
So here the tories are getting the criticism they deserve.

I’m surprised the Conservatives allow members from other countries and don’t really understand why they allow it or what the criteria for it is, I would say there must be a strict criteria or there would be millions of overseas members.

As for the title of this thread. The Tory MPs chose two MPs to be the next PM. The members had to choose between those two to which they preferred. Neither of them two were the members favourites. Think it was Kemi who was the favourite amongst the members and Penny Mordaunt in second place.

@strathmore , As you brought up Brexit,Straffy,
Maybe the foreigner voting issue explains Teresa May becoming PM
immediately after the Brexit vote ?? :-1::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::-1:

1 Like

Hi

It should not be UK Citizens, it should only be UK Citizens resident in the UK.

2 Likes

Laying down the gauntlet Swimmy?

Hi

It is what I genuinely believe.

If you have decided to live abroad, fine, that is your choice.

My plan was to go and live in Poland, scuppered by external events and my health.

I love the place and the people.

I would not have expected to continue to be able to vote in the UK and would have happily accepted that.

2 Likes

Exactly what I said in another Thread. :+1::wink:

Hi

My most sincerely apologies for not recognising your earlier post.

Don’t be daft, was just agreeing with you. :+1::rofl::joy:

1 Like

@Swimfeeders,. To whom are you addressing your post Swimmy ??
Or are you just blowing off ??
:+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

1 Like

I think one could extend the concept to prevent anyone who wishes to break away from the union from voting. :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes