Strange structure

came across this structure today but do you know what it is? I have never ever seen one before. yes I did find out but can you guess?

1 Like

Is it a kind of hide to watch birds or wild animals? Or maybe it was just a retreat - somewhere someone could go for peace and quiet, or inspiration in the wild for an artist or writer (are there great views from it? Over a lake or a valley for example?)

A very elaborate tree house?

A bird house for ostriches?

A Folly?

Some sort of storage building?

An outdoor bath house?

An Ikea reject?

run out of ideas now!

A smoke house for fish.

all wrong
It is actually a BAT HOUSE for bats to sleep during the day. I have never come across one before and was shown it by the locals. you would never know of its existance or even find it without being told, how weird is that?

Weird - but also wonderful! Thank you, realspeed, great photo and good to know that people care about bats - they are lovely creatures.

Oh how fascinating! It looks to be in some disrepair, but I imagine the bats don’t mind that :wink: . Not far from us there are a couple of ‘bat bridges’ to help bats cross a busy by-pass. The idea is that the bats’ sonar would identify the bridges as the hedgerows that used to guide them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8320610.stm

1 Like