Staying warm at night (Split from energy saving thread)

@AnnieS I have seen these hope they keep you cosy I have a couple of sets of flannelette sheets somewhere may find them out and wash them ready for winter. May even find myself following my parents lead of a flat sheet then quilt or blanket. Starting to feel like I am going to live in Antarctica with all this keeping warm talk LOL

3 Likes

I posted this in another thread but since this one is specifically about warm bedding I have to post it here too - because I’ve never had a duvet as toasty as this!

A Hungarian Goose Feather down: Goose down duvets - #7 by Azz :003:

I really was surprised at how warm it is - I thought it would be rubbish because it’s not very thick or puffy, but it’s the hottest duvet I have ever used AND it lets your body breathe, so it’s very comfortable.

Things like this just cement the thought that you really can’t beat nature - man made materials don’t even come close…

Hi

Natural is the best, however many vegetarians have objections to them.

A recently discovered close second for me is the green honeycomb lightweight NHS Blankets.

Sent home in them, they do not want them back because of the risk of external infection.

2 Likes

Yeah, I always have a top sheet under the duvet, but I know that’s old fashioned now :fearful:

But I think it’s more hygienic to have something easily washable between your body and your duvet cover :sleeping_bed:

And the layers help with warmth in the winter, and you can throw off the duvet and just sleep under the sheet in the summer

We don’t have the bedroom radiators on because neither of us like to sleep with the central heating in and the warmth from downstairs in the day keeps the bedrooms fairly warm

So in the winter I add a snuggly fleece blanket between the top sheet and the duvet and we just cuddle up!

Top sheets are more hygeinic

1 Like

I stopped using feather bedding years ago due to allergies. Plus of course the other stuff may be eco-unfriendly but it is cruelty-free. Goose down is meant to be the warmest type of bedding. Goose down jackets too. But demand for it just encourages the foie gras industry.

3 Likes

I love my two goose feather and down super king pillows. I have a really ancient Winfield thin pillow on top of them!
Annie, maybe that’s why l don’t have any allergy symptoms with them?
I did look at goose feather duvets but they are so expensive!

I had never heard of Teddy Fleece before until l saw a single electric blanket on sale for £10 in Morrisons recently.
I bought it as l thought it would be like my previous fleece one.
It’s similar but not as plush!

2 Likes

How to stay warm at night ……
Get a lover :wink:

5 Likes

Like @AnnieS I too stopped using feather duvets and pillows because of allergies, and also because I abhor the foie gras industry, which is all linked to the goose feather demand.

My grandson and granddaughter both have the teddy duvet cover and pillows for winter and they love them! I wouldn’t mind the duvet cover, but I don’t think I could bear to sleep on a teddy covered pillow, ugh! It’s Egyptian cotton all the way for my pillows.

I’m planning on getting a low tog duvet to put under my flannelette bottom sheet, to add in more insulation. Oh, and in the colder weather I always have a hot water bottle!! In its teddy plush cover, it stays warm all night!

3 Likes

All sounds good, we have 2 duvets in winter at different toggles, have a mattress topper that’s like a woolly fleece but no sheet under the duvets and a hot water bottle each for our feet, sometimes i’ll have that by the top half of my body. We don’t have the radiators on at night just mornings and afternoons for 20 minutes.

1 Like

Yes the pillows are a bit much for adults, but the teddy sheet and duvet cover is lovely with the heating being rationed.

1 Like

I don’t see any need for all these keep warm items if the bedroom is warm.
All we have in the winter is a 9 tog duvet & a warm bedroom.

Of course the heating goes off in the night & the bedroom gets cold but we are fast asleep by then…

A post was split to a new topic: Governments capping charge - has yours been applied yet?

I bought an Oodie each for myself and my daughter. Can’t wait to see if it lives up to the hype! :smiley:

My OH is like a giant hot water bottle UNLESS he falls asleep on the sofa and gets cold and then comes to bed .

1 Like

Flicked our CH for the first time on Sunday since we had MIL round for a meal and we felt obliged. Cost 38p per hour according to my bulb smart meter app.

how’s that going?

1 Like

Oh its fabulous, Annie! I wear mine most days. It makes me feel (and probably look) like a big bear, but I swear it’s the best buy of the year clothes wise. I don’t wear it outside, obviously, but it’s just the thing for cosy warmth around the house & garden. I got mine on a 2 for reduced price sale so I’m not sure if that’s still going, but I would definitely recommend getting on if you can. I would like to try the “knock offs” that B&M and Primark have - they are supposed to be pretty cosy too.

1 Like

I bought the same set a few weeks ago it is reversible pink and grey. I bought the duvet and pillowcases and a matching pink sheet. I was thinking of putting it on my bed today.

We have an All Seasons duvet, so a 4.5 and 10.5 duvet which you can use separately or pop together. I just have the 10.5 on at the moment and some nights I kick that off because I am too warm and then wake up cold!

How are you finding your set? I am now wondering whether to take just the sheet back as it might be too warm?

OOOOH Ripple,i dont think my husband would approve,and i couldn`t even hide him under the bed

1 Like

A nice duvet and a live fur coat.

1 Like