Stars and Stripes no longer visible on the Moon?

The flags planted on the Moon no longer show the Stars and Stripes.
Exposure to radiation after 5 decades will have bleached the colours from the flags so they would be all white now.
That is if they are even still intact. They may have disintegrated completely

1 Like

They should be OK, safe in the film studio.

Only joking :grinning:

4 Likes

Well they should jolly well send someone back to replace them then! :rocket: :us:

2 Likes

I’m glad if they’re faded and thought it was a flaming cheek to stick the US flag in it like they’d won it or owned it :rofl:

Space is full of rubbish we’ve dumped there, not content with filling up our own planet with trash, they should have left the moon how they found it, not dump tatty flags on it

https://www.fastcompany.com/90982629/outer-space-is-full-of-human-trash-now-we-have-to-get-rid-of-it

And who owns the moon and is entitled to use its resources?

That’s a legal and moral issue but I would have thought every human being has a stake and it’s very sad to see us taking petty nationalistic issues and divisions there staking claims and marking it with national flags

1 Like

Humanity in a nutshell.

1 Like

To be fair they did pay for the trip.

3 Likes

Just add the flag to the ever growing mound of space junk .

2 Likes

When I see all that space junk circling the earth it really upsets me.
Seems the powers that be do not care how quickly they destroy our environment. As long as a profit is derived, “She’ll be right mate” :disappointed:

2 Likes

With all due respect Bretrick…If you divide the amount of space junk by the area in which it circulates earth you could travel around space for the rest of your life and never ever see one piece of junk…So big is the area in question. And…What goes up, eventually comes down.

To the victors go the spoils Maree…But if you want to be pedantic, who actually owns anything? Including this planet. We are only the curators…

3 Likes

“To the victors

That’s the nub of the problem, really, isn’t it?
Such arrogance to think they’ve “won” the the moon and stick a tacky flag on it

Human beings are still just naff really aren’t they? Nothing spiritual, just grabby grabby

3 Likes

I have to say that I agree with you on that one Maree… :+1:
Perhaps Putin should get his finger out and stop messing about in Ukraine and go and put the Russian flag up on the moon and stake his claim. It would appear that they are the only two countries capable.

2 Likes

It’s complex, in a sense of the word I believe that there is something spiritual about striking out, exploring and discovering something new, it’s part of who we are.
The Apollo missions were fundamentally a space race, beating the Russians to the moon was paramount, realistically it wasn’t surprising that The Stars and Stripes were left on the Moon. Ironically the Apollo 11 flag was reportedly blown over by the ascent stage of the lunar module on take off.

3 Likes

What’s that little white stick thing on the left Chilli?

1 Like

I have no idea Foxy? My initial thought being that it was a camera but that’s merely a wild guess on my part. Go on, I get the feeling this is leading somewhere…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Never seen that flag, is it on the Dark Side of the Moon?

1 Like

Yup, that’s it in a nutshell

“Race”……”Beating the Russians”

There should be something spiritual and wonderful about exploring and expanding our horizons

And instead human beings reduce it to completion, winning and land grabbing, like the colonialists explorers of old and make it all about where they can stick their stupid flag

I’m glad if that flag was blown over, karma from the Universe!

4 Likes

Yeah, ‘cos flag waving, territory grabbing and nationalism has worked out really well down here, hasn’t it? :rofl:

Wherever human beings go, they take their shit and conflicts

3 Likes

Kings Blues said it first

“Mother Earth is beggin’ you to quit
So you’ve reached the moon and stick a flag in it”

Warning, contains the F word, don’t play if it will offend

1 Like