Spending Christmas alone

My friend will be on her own for Christmas Day this year. Her son’s wife is Hungarian and they stayed in the UK last year, so this year they and their daughter off to Budapest to see her family

My friend hasn’t told anyone because she doesn’t want invitations and says she’d hate to be the spare wheel at someone else’s family gathering

She’s fine with it, going to cook herself a nice dinner, then arranged with some of her Ramblers club to have a good walk, then back to one of theirs for mince pies

You see on TV charity ads a lot of people desperately lonely at Christmas and it’s very sad for them to be isolated and I hope they get some companionship they crave

But is that the whole picture and typical of people spending Christmas alone?

As nuclear families living close are less common, it’s bound to happen more and more, and are some people, like my friend, fine with it and enjoy their day

Does anyone on her spend it on their own? How do you feel about it?

My son says if he ever had to spend Christmas on his own he’d top himself!

I think I’d be OK too, if circumstances meant I ended up spending it on my own

I have had several on my own since mum passed away in 2012. Younger sister or her two daughters would invite me, but there were times, especially since we moved, when she would go to theirs. With the dog I have to stay home.

I used to make the most of it, cook a nice dinner, maybe go for a walk. Now I have the dog we go out anyway and would meet people out and about, and exchange greetings.

This year I will go to the house of someone from my coffee group, and will be joined by her son and husband, and another lady from the group. Holly can be left for a few hours. YS will be going to her YD, staying away a couple of nights.

Boxing Day I will do my own turkey dinner and make a nice dessert, maybe a trifle.

I didn’t like being on my own at the beginning but had to learn it was happening, whether I liked it or not, and had to learn to accept it. Older siblings (2) would never be in a position to extend an invite.

1 Like

My sister is alone and so am i so i drive to Surrey 130 miles early xmas day . Ill stay a week and drive home new years day . I’d be sad alone and my sister couldn’t cope emotionally. I dont like Christmas sadly , i used to love it when kids were around and when young but now it just makes me feel loss and sadness . Always glad when its over

2 Likes

It sounds as if you’re getting used to making a good time of it xxx Happy Christmas and enjoy :two_hearts:

1 Like

It’s good you and your sister have got each other and I hope you have a good time

I think it’s inevitable as we get older to think of Christmasses past and miss people who aren’t with us any more and the children being small I can understand you not liking it

But I always try not to dwell and enjoy what I do have have

I lost my husband 16 months ago so this will be my second Christmas without him. Last Christmas I went to my elder son’s for Christmas Day and this year I am going to my younger son’s. I am very lucky to have such a caring family but it doesn’t take away the empty feeling I carry around with me due to his loss. I can’t bring myself to put up any Christmas decorations although I display cards I receive - all with just my name on now of course. I shall be glad when it’s all over and we’re into the New Year.

3 Likes

Even when I was living alone I always had a Christmas lunch with someone.I’ve never been that keen on it anyway,all that false niceness.

1 Like