Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

But the fact that you are walking or riding on them is proof that you are aware of them, surely. :017:

yes but what happened to Wales or are we just waiting for them to catch up?

I can’t read 20mph in Welsh so bit pointless

1 Like

That just about sums up most of the cars around my area.

1 Like

I know someone who would be very happy if they introduced a 20 mph limit on the road through the village I used to live in.
He has a lot of ducks on his pond and they sometimes go off for a stroll and end up getting killed on the road. He campaigned to reduce the speed limit through the village from 40 mph to a 30mph zone. Since it became 30mph, he has been shouting at motorists and raising 3 fingers at them if they drive too fast, to remind them of the speed limit - he has often said he wishes it was only 20mph, so he could remind speeding motorists with 2 fingers!

1 Like

I tended to rail against a blanket 20mph but since I have a car with a speed limiter that reads traffic signs, I tend to set this so it keeps at the required limit for the road. Mine has to be set by the driver. However, now new cars have to have mandatory limiters fitted that are a default setting and have to be disabled by the driver, it’s only a matter of time before the limits cannot be overridden, all to prepare us for fully autonomous driving…

1 Like

I know my children did road safety first and the cycling proficiency test at school.
A lot of pedestrians are covered by insurance.
I think in built-up residential areas 20mile speed limit isn’t unreasonable.

Also the Hampshire M275 drivers must stick to a 40mph limit southbound on the motorway, with a 30mph limit on slip road .

I didn’t know that … :astonished:

It’s already happened, from the 6th of July

Why? walking and cycling are a right, driving is a privilege.

Most high pedestrian areas like shopping centres and suburban streets now have lower speed limits than the rest of town, most are 50kph (31mph) a 10kph drop from the normal urban speed limit of 60kph (37mph) seems quite sensible to me

You should read some of the comments in the Telegraph about this 20mph limit in Wales. Some are talking about being overtaken by cyclists going at 25mph or more, as the speed limits don’t seem to apply to them!
They’re up in arms about it, but blame the Welsh for voting in a Labour ‘government’.
Just bear in mind that the same thing might happen in England if we, too, end up with a Labour government in a couple of years.
If so, I might invest in a bicycle!

So driving more slowly is a left wing thing, is it? :thinking:

Not necessarily. Dictating their ideals to the masses is a left-wing thing, though.

Isn’t dictating their ideals to the masses the business of all governments, left or right?

Not always:

Fascism is a far-right, authoritarian ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by dictatorial power, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the good of the nation, and strong regimentation of society and the economy that rose to prominence in early 20th-century Europe. The first fascist movements emerged in Italy during World War I, before spreading to other European countries, such as Germany. Fascism also had adherents outside of Europe. Opposed to anarchism, democracy, liberalism, and Marxism,fascism is placed on the far-right wing within the traditional left–right spectrum.

Same around here.

I don’t mind as they are near infant and junior schools, Little lives are precious.

Shhh! don’t say that out loud, there are plenty of people on here claiming that the UK is over populated.

Whoops!!

All school zones in NSW have a 40kph (24mph) speed limit at certain times

In the ACT the school zone speed limit applies all day and NSW drivers sometimes get caught out.