Spanish style Garlic Mushrooms

SPANISH STYLE GARLIC MUSHROOMS

Ingredients

• 1 x generous chunk of butter ( or2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil if you prefer)
• 12 button mushrooms
• 5 cloves garlic
• 2 tbsp chopped parsley
• 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (60 ml)
• sea salt & black pepper

Instructions

1. Roughly chop 5 cloves garlic and add into a mortar, pinch in a little sea salt and mash with a pestle until you form a paste like texture, then add in chopped parsley and white wine vinegar, mix together until well combined and set aside

2. Rinse 12 button mushrooms under cold running water, pat the mushrooms completely dry and cut each one into half

3. Heat a large fry pan with a medium-high heat - put in butter (or olive oil) and the cut mushrooms, mix the mushrooms with the butter/oil so each one is coated, then place them all in a single layer cut side down, cook for 4 minutes without moving the mushrooms.

4. After 4 minutes, mix the mushrooms for 2 minutes so they’re evenly sautéed all around, then lower the heat to a low-medium heat, add in the vinegar & garlic sauce and season with sea salt & black pepper, mix together and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, or until all the sauce has been absorbed by the mushrooms, then remove the pan from the heat, transfer the mushrooms into a dish and sprinkle with chopped parsley, enjoy!

2 Likes

thanks Tabbs I have copied this recipe sounds delicious :slight_smile:

Sounds alright ST :grin:

Try this …

2 or 3 spoons of olive oil in a pan/wok, add 2 gloves of garlic crushed but in one piece, get flavour into oil. Up the heat, add the 12 button mushrooms, toss immediately and toss some more. As they start to shrink add a splash of Jamesons, tilt pan, woosh, liquid is burnt off, add creme fraiche, serve.

1 Like

Eeek - sacrilege to use Jameson’s - would scotch do??
Sounds delicious though - will give it a try.

1 Like

any cooking brandy …

1 Like

Nice recipe @SilverTabby

Am interested about the rinsing mushrooms. Was led to believe that since mushrooms absorb water very quickly (hence why one soaks dried mushrooms to soften them up again), this isn’t usually recommended, but wiping them to remove bits of residual compost is.

Have you tried cooking them without washing them first? Wondering how much difference it makes.

1 Like

Yes, Dex, I have - and it doesn’t! Was just quoting the recipe.

1 Like

Thanks Tabby. Was wondering if the water kinda stopped excess/butter oil soaking in the mushrooms and making them ooze with greasy flaccidity. (Sorry, really couldn’t think of another word!)

1 Like

Tabbs’ recipe is exactly the same as the one I was taught by an Italian chef except he and I use sliced porcini mushrooms fried in extra virgin oil and white wine rather than vinegar served with spaghetti.