Songs that have different memories for you?

So, I was thinking today how songs bring back memories and sometimes the memories they bring back are a bit unusual and not quite the same things other people associate with the song!

The Sister of Mercy by Leonard Cohen is one of my favourite ever.

But somewhat marred because my first husband used to sing it to me when I brought him coffee when he had a stinking hangover from a heavy drinking session the night before :scream::rofl:

What about you, any songs that have weird connections and memories for you? :rofl:

I wasn’t much interested in Leonard Coen until hearing I’m Your Man in about 1990 when on hols in Portugal. Fabulous LP with fab songs, amusing lyrics. I borrowed Mrs d00d’s sisters car - can’t remember what time of year it was, but not especially nice weather - headed for the coast and the rain came. We sat in the car smoking cigarettes, looking out to sea, chatting, listening to that cassette, loving it. And listened to little else for the rest of the holiday.

1 Like

Late 80s, scorching hot August day, downtown Lisboa, stuck in heavy traffic, the aroma of cannabis and barbequed sardine. A nearby car blasting out the Smiths, my favourite band. For some reason, I thought the Smiths were loved by English Indie fans only, now they’ve reached Portugal yay. This was the song, their Bo Diddly monument. I’m in love … Portugal and all the good people there.

1 Like

Back in the year 1980 i met my wife i was 21 she was almost 18 then and every night whilst living together in england she would sing this song to me which of course i had never heard before, Four Green Fields - The Dubliners & Jim McCann

1 Like

I actually like Leonard Cohen music, it is the definitive music to sash your wrists to.

Now, where’s that razor blade…

3 Likes

I had a boyfriend who was a big Cohen fan. He was at art college and used to write to me and illustrate the pages with words from his songs.

I bought his CD You Want it Darker not long ago.

Dance me to the end of love …. Not on there but one of my faves.

1 Like

I dated a guy briefly who was an alcoholic. It ended badly. He seemed to think that Desperado was a romantic song. He made a mix tape with that song on it. Boy, do I hate that song!

1 Like

Kathy Kirby (O’Rouke) singing Dance On has special memories for me and you will find all out it in my forum profile. It was that song a certain young lady (16) projected into the microphone that set my heart into new territories and it has never recovered :heartbeat:

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay by Otis Reading is imprinted in my brain.It was a favorite of a girl friend who played it all the time.The record player was in her bedroom so I got to like it too.

1 Like

Lyle Lovett’s Skinny Legs used to remind me of when I was a lot younger and ruled by hormones

Then when I was much older This song meant something

1 Like

This was sung to all of my four daughters at eventide as they lay in their cot with tums full of mum’s milk … gosh this brings a tear or two, but tears of very happy memories.