Some of my Tarantulas

That must have been horrible. Poor dog, poor you.

The molts are dry & brittle. We normally hand them on in cheap food containers from poundland with kitchen roll under & above them. Normally a large deli tub about 4 inches in diameter will take a molt. But with some of the bigger Tā€™s a sandwich tub is needed.

And the molts make great Halloween decorations. As do a few giant hissing cockroaches in your hand as you open the door.

Depending upon species, a male lives a few years. 2 to 5 years, depending upon species. While a female lives up to 25 years depending upon species. So there is a difference in value between males & females & of course you want to get the sex correct for breeding.

@Gee, in the anchariid world do the males fight over the females, once mated do you keep the sexes apart, lest the female kills her partner.

Is this short lifespan due to females eating them or do they naturally just have a shorter lifespan genetically?

All tarantulas, other than a very very few species. About 3 or 4. Will prey on each other. Even with species that can be kept communally, you need to over feed, to try & prevent cannibalism.
And if the males survives mating, which 2 of mine have not over the past year. Then yes, you remove them.

1 Like

Thank you, fascinating hobby.

Once a male has matured his only drive in life is mating. They in general stop eating, they donā€™t drink, they just want to mate. And males & females from the same egg sack reach maturity at different molts. So the males mature first, mate & die. Then the females from the same egg sack mature.

I have no idea if itā€™s natures way of stopping the Tā€™s from the same egg sack from inter breeding, but the consequence is that egg sack siblings cannot mate & with most males either being killed during mating or dying just after. Few males in the wild produce more than one egg sack. So the species keeps itā€™s genetic base broad.

2 Likes

Nature is truly fascinating.
Thank you. :pray:

1 Like

Just found this in my Homeā€¦Itā€™s quite bright Green, it did not bite but was scared, as I know they are of humans, canā€™t say I blame them eitherā€¦ :eyes: :spider:
spider1
spider
green woodpecker1

caught these quick shots the other day out of my Kitchen Window.
Green Woodpecker
green woodpecker
ā€¦

3 Likes