Some of my Tarantulas

well you’ve certainly given us at least one sleepless night tonight heh?? in Thailand once we purchased some fried grasshoppers and ate them just like crisps - I think they gave us chilli instead of salt to sprinkle on them ? - just saying?

1 Like

Ewww! Gumbud! Poor grasshoppers!

@Gee3 Great photos … even though they made me shiver! :grinning:

1 Like

Nice photo’s Gee.
I once has a Mexican Red Knee on my arm, I was at a tourist attraction, that had spiders & they were trying to help people with arachnophobia. I wasn’t scared of that one, but I hated our House spiders & I still hate them, irrational isn’t it, I wouldn’t harm those though, I get them in a pot & they go outside. I am fine with any other spider species.
Except False Widows of which there are hundreds here, I squish those

1 Like

Almost all of the spiders that you see walking around, are mature males. When a male has his final molt he matures & is then on borrowed time, so he goes looking for a female.
Arachnids are ambush predators. So they move very little. They are also cannibalistic, with only about 3 species being anything close to communal, out of 2000. Yet, arachnids are routinely found living inches from each other.

3 Likes

erhmm they were dead?

Incredibly good photos.
I really like that purplish pink one. How pretty.
Where do you keep them all? In separate tanks? Doesn’t that take up a lot or room? Do they need special humidify , temperature etc?

Do they interact with each other or would they hurt each other doing that?

Do you ever display them professionally?

2 Likes

Sorry Trixie …it was moi …said about your new found hobby…

can’t hide any post on here Trixie, on this new Super Forum we are blessed with…so sorry …let the cat right out the bag… :innocent:

Blame the distraction of Spiders…although they are now much more interesting, with all the facts and figures… thanks to Gee3

All good Questions Bratti…can’t wait for the answers now…

1 Like

You wish. :nerd_face:

1 Like

But you ate them. With chilli, and they were crunchy! On the back of this spider thread, it just seems…a bit…ok, I’m sorry. I’m just a tad squeamish!

@PixieKnuckles keep me out of this I didn’t eat any grasshoppers :clown_face:

3 Likes

:joy::rofl:….

I know, Chillie, You wouldn’t do such a thing! :smiley:

Humidity is a difficult one. Yes some need high humidity, coming from tropical climates. Whilst some need desert conditions. But if you get the husbandry correct, the humidity follows. But some people get really tied up in chasing a magical humidity figure & that is counterproductive.

As for temperature. If it is warm enough for us to sit in a t shirt. Then it is warm enough for them.

Arachnids are cannibalistic. So no interacting. Most males end up being eaten during mating. And males in most species, develop hooks on their front legs as they mature. The hooks are to help fend off the females fangs.

No I do not display them professionally. But a wild life photographer has visited & photographed our T’s. And I have been asked if I want a job at a soon to be opened, we hope, Tarantula experience.

2 Likes

Oh…….:flushed::pleading_face: I didn’t see all that you had written.

Yikes! Gee, I hope there’s no earthquakes in the UK

Tarantulas eat live food. I watch my T’s grab & eat crickets & locusts on a weekly basis.

Wow. I completely missed your post. All I saw was the picture. What’s husbandry? I should have looked it up first I suppose.

I guess looking after tarantulas and other such creatures is much like any hobby. One can get too obsessed with it. I’ve known some aquarium people who are like that. A friend I knew had huge salt water aquariums in the walls that every once in a while would flood and do major damage to the house.

Cannibalistic ? :flushed: I didn’t know that. What lovely creatures. And these male spiders still wanna do it? Really? :grimacing::scream: I guess it’s bred into them like any other species. Do they know they are going to get eaten? Does the female eat them after ejaculation? I’m sure I’m asking too personal questions here :joy::sweat_smile:but it’s quite interesting.

Can you feel the hooks in the males while you hold them?

Very cool on the job situation. I hope you find a job that’s fills your interest and passions.

Thank you for answering all my questions.