So Insulate Britain was right all along

I had somebody around years ago when the Government were offering free wall insulation, they stuck something in the walls and said they were unable to do it on my house and thank goodness they couldn’t because I know of loads of people who had it done and now have damp problems where they didn’t before they had wall insulation.

1 Like

That is very true wendeey,they also don`t tell you it keeps heat from the sun out,we have to put some form of heating on in the spring and autumn where as we never needed to before.
It is actually warmer outside than inside on many days.

1 Like

A lot of those homes are social housing too and we all know how bad that is.

Err…excuuuuse me! I live in a HA flat and its perfectly fine thankyouverymuch. Its colder, granted, because its ground floor and old, but the other one I had was cosy as anything and I barely had the heating on. So, they aren’t all bad. In fact, I would suggest that actual Council houses are the more poorly maintained of all, because the councils really don’t care anymore about their properties.

2 Likes

Would you care to elaborate?

Thats what I meant - councils don’t spend money on insulating homes, a lot of the council houses (or social housing as I called them - maybe incorrectly) are awful. They are old prefab blocks which have crappy wiring and heating etc.

1 Like

On what ?

S’alright, it’s easy to get them mixed up I suppose if you aren’t familiar with the hierarchy of these things. I know up here, the council areas have an appalling reputation for keeping up repairs etc, claiming lack of funds. The HA’s though seem to be continually investing in property & repairs, even tendering for new contractors each year to get the cheapest deal (but somehow not lacking in the skill of the trade). Just odd how it goes from one extreme to another. :woman_shrugging:

Yeah exactly, plus the residents in a lot of cases won’t have the money to insulate their home or get someone in to do it.

I insulated our loft last year when we moved in and put 0.5M deep of insulation in it. The cost was about £300 - £400 so its not cheap.

My son has a HA House, in the last 5 years he’s had triple glazing, new front n back doors, total refit of the kitchen and the bathroom. His place is lovely, modern and warm. If he has to phone to get a repair it’s done quickly. Can’t complain about HA homes in Perth.

2 Likes

Social housing is either Housing Association or council houses:

And it was a housing association property that was recently in the news regarding that young boy who died:

This is awful, of course, but hopefully an isolated case. Most HA’s are not so badly maintained. (I can only speak for Scotland of course)

Amen to that wendeey. There is a good reason for the air gap between the outside and inside walls of a brick built house. Bridge the gap with wall foam and north facing walls will attract damp on the inside as I have found to my cost.

1 Like

Pixie I wish it was only an isolated case, but it’s not. I used to watch ITV News and I was in tears with what they exposed, take your pick from these links:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=itv+news+housing+damp+problems&sxsrf=ALiCzsbBGMAHA0fQOJoDLMR_UZFKPEpjDQ%3A1669927551498&source=hp&ei=fxKJY5T5G4vrgQaC457ICw&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAY4kgj6pUBtf4KYFrIc2OvxU22CtFJ-_2&ved=0ahUKEwjUtIX0pNn7AhWLdcAKHYKxB7kQ4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=itv+news+housing+damp+problems&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABOgcIIxDqAhAnOgQIIxAnOgUIABCRAjoLCAAQgAQQsQMQgwE6CAgAEIAEELEDOhQILhCDARDHARDUAhCxAxDRAxCABDoRCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEQxwEQ0QM6CwgAELEDEIMBEJECOg4ILhCABBCxAxCDARDUAjoFCAAQgAQ6CAgAELEDEIMBOg4ILhCDARDUAhCxAxCABDoFCC4QkQI6BQguEIAEOgoIABCABBCHAhAUOgYIABAWEB46BQgAEIYDOggIABAWEB4QCjoICCEQFhAeEB06BwghEKABEAo6BAghEBVQxgZY8q4BYJG3AWgBcAB4AIABhwOIAfsfkgEIMTguNC42LjKYAQCgAQGwAQo&sclient=gws-wiz

1 Like

It seems to be a real issue all over the country, but I googled what they were doing about it in Scotland, and I found this:
Damp and mould detectors rolled out to social housing in Glasgow as part of pilot project | STV News

I don’t know how effective it will be in terms of getting things done about it, mind you… highlighting a problem doesn’t solve it.( again, it’s all down to money) But I do wonder if this kind of idea is being rolled out nationwide.

1 Like

That nice Mr Rudd kindly insulated my house completely free of charge. In summer it is great the house remains cool even on the hottest days.

In winter it is a different matter, prior to insulation the house warmed nicely once the sun hit the tin roof but alas now I have to open all the doors and windows to get the daytime warmth to permeate the house. I now sit outside more often in winter because it is warmer than in the house especially in the mornings. Swings and roundabouts.

I still don’t have to use the fan heater much on the winter evenings but certainly more than before the insulation was installed now perhaps a dozen evenings for an hour or so .My quarterly winter electricity bill is about $50 more than the summer bill.

Having said all that the insulation is brilliant and keeps the house so much cooler in summer. Thank you Mr Rudd.

Coincidentally I was reading about this today. I was googling cavity insulation and the first page I came across was a solicitor website talking about a claims for damp caused by inappropriately or badly installed cavity insulation. It’s not something I expected to see.

1 Like

Thanks for that Wendy !

1 Like

Looking at triple glazing thanks to this. Had never realised such a thing existed.