Slow cookers v Crockpots?

There a plenty of options available for emergencies and power cuts but they run on gas, petrol/meths etc or solid fuel. Definitely not an option for indoors, the carbon monoxide would be very dangerous.
Fine for the patio or garden though.
It doesn’t have to get quite as basic as the picture, or at least let’s hope not :wink:
I’m actually glad you posted this Annie, it’s prompted me to buy a few camping gas cannisters, just in case.

3 Likes

I’m going to get one of these…

Hey, maybe we should have a “survival” or “prepping” thread :joy:

2 Likes

Yay!
I’m already brandishing my Swedish Fire steel in anticipation , I’ll spare you the pictures.

2 Likes

The only difference I can see is that Crockpot is a brand, whereas Slow Cooker is a generic term. It’s a bit like saying what’s the difference between a Hoover and a vacuum cleaner.

3 Likes

SOUP might take weeks of planning, days of sourcing the best ingredients, hours of preparation, but only 15 minutes to cook. :wink:

2 Likes

we have a chimenea. Just need to stock up on hard-to-find charcoal.

1 Like

Yes! Plan for the zombie apocalypse! :grinning:

1 Like

Or 1 minute to open the tin and pour into a suitable container, and 2 mins to heat up in the microwave.

2 Likes

No - and no! Obviously each to their own - but I cannot stand tinned soup and as for some of the ingredients … let’s not go there.

3 Likes

Neither, who needs them? a microwave prepares nearly all my meals.

Heinz vegetable soup tastes exactly the same as it did when I was growing up . It’s a comfort food for me when I can’t do a cooked meal.
Some people are simply not able to prepare vegetables for home made soups .

Must confess to having the odd Golden Veg cup-a-soup with a cold sandwich on a cold day.

1 Like

Just made cubed beef in red wine in my slow cooker

3 Likes

Bin the slow cooker they take an age and fill the house with the smell of cooking for ever yuk .
Get an air fryer , I’m very happy with mine , it’s quick and cheap to run compared to an oven

1 Like

Instant Pot. It is a game changer. It does everything including an air fryer. Today I chucked the slow cooker in the shed - just incase…

1 Like

It’ll make a nice cosy home for the spiders come winter :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll stick with my Gas Cooker! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

You all have different opinions ,thanks.
I don’t eat much meat but now and again cooking for one I’d like to make a lamb stew or cook half a chicken to make a broth with so I’m still undecided which product will suit me best …

I am partial to using my CrockPot, it suits my needs best
I guess, have a stew going right now…

I must admit we have gone back to using the gas hob and oven again now. We used a slow cooker when energy prices were soaring but (crossed fingers) things seem to have stabilised a bit now. We still use the microwave for softening baked potatoes and chips, soups, porage, warming quiches and so on. I think the microwave has proved to be much more useful than anything else.

1 Like