Slow cooker - keep or return?

We’ve got a couple of favourite “pie” dishes, for cottage pie, fish pie, potato gratin and various veggie things that are nice straight out the oven with a cheesy sauce.

2 Likes

Do your various dishes bring back memories? I get dishes out and think about where I bought them or who I acquired them from. Most of my dinner service and serving dishes are from a discontinued range called Jack’s Farm. I have had them probably over 20 years now and as Jack was my late Dad’s name I always think of him for a few moments. We have a big old willow pattern turkey serving dish that comes out every Xmas. We bought that from an old lady downsizing over 45 years ago when we had no money at all. My big mixing bowl came from my Mum when we cleared her house and always reminds me of her making Xmas cakes and puddings in it.

I have a lovely bright yellow jug with farm animals on from the Funky Farm range and I use it for custard. My Sister in Law loved this range and had loads and if i ever saw any on car boots or charity shops I would buy them for her and keep it until we visited her as she is over 100 miles away. Sadly she died in November aged 66 so I use it and think of her now.

I sound a right sentimental old bird!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

slow cookers take a long long time to return!

3 Likes

I love my slow cooker so I hope you kept yours there is a great group you can join on Facebook called Easy Slow Cooker Recipes…its an open group so you don’t have to join to read the recipes. Good Luck!

The slow cooker went back to the store yesterday! I will stick to my oven on the S setting and cook my stews, casseroles and meats in there.

I visited a friend on Wed and she is a fabulous cook who grows all their fruit and veg too. She says she has a slow cooker (which her daughter bought her) but rarely uses it. All winter she cooks in her Rayburn but uses the slow cooker occasionally in the summer months to cook game when the rayburn is off.

Thanks for all the tips. :+1:

4 Likes

Everything tastes the same in a slow cooker. Food tastes better from the oven or regular pots or pans. I gave mine away years ago since I rarely used it.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that too. I also didn’t like the idea of having to sear sausages, chicken etc before putting it in the slow cooker otherwise it looks uninviting.

I have also just been reading that it’s a myth that slow cookers are more economical.

An electric oven used 5 days a week for 1 hour costs £150 p.a.
Slow cooker used 5 days a week for 8 hrs on lowest setting costs £370 p.a.

1 Like

And you still have to factor in the energy used to sear the various foods before putting them in the slow cooker. And what about the cooking the veg that can’t be put in a slow cooker?

1 Like

Hi

I am, unfortunately now, a Falls Risk.

Using the main oven is no longer an option.

I have a Multicooker with 14 programmes, including 2 Slow Cooker options.

It is brilliant.

2 Likes

That’s a big difference! I didn’t know that…thanks for the info Flowerpower.

And factor in the delights of tossing the wok with pride. A drizzle of this, a smidgen of that. The joys of proper cooking, not for the chuck-it-all-in brigade, come back 9 hours later.

3 Likes

And factor in the great expectation and appetite enhancement while preparing said items…
:yum: :yum: :yum:

1 Like

haven’t you sent that bloody slowcooker back yet? - bit slow ain’t ya!!

As tactful as ever Gumbud. Quite typical of the aussie mentality.

Same as with a Pressure Cooker - wouldn’t have one of those - mother did (because she hated cooking so much) and the results were awful!

1 Like

and you need to organise some artificial kitchen aromas to wet the appetite.

You’re the slow one. It went back last Thursday. :+1:

1 Like

slow cooker critique

that is slow very very slow still it does slow the mind too??

I hate cooking with a passion so any sort of cooking implements are worthless to me .
Having said that I bought a little pan yesterday to boil eggs in ( I had burned the last one cooking up some meat for the dog )