Silent Walking

Thanks to TikTok there’s an exciting new trend which has become popular and may help you on your walk. I’m not saying nothing.

1 Like

what a revolutionary idea!

3 Likes

I see this sentiment a lot. I don’t agree.

On the face of it, it seems to make sense. If you let a problem go, it can sometimes get worse. So facing it is a better choice.

But if a person is at the point they can’t face it so they’re looking for distractions, forcing them to face things when they’re not ready can be more disastrous.

There are worse choices for distractions than some music.

Personally, I like quiet so I would choose that. But in some circumstances, I can see why some people might not.

2 Likes

That would mean that a lot of, if not most, younger people are escapists to some extent. I think it’s rather a lifestyle phenomenon. We had our Walkmans but it’s beyond my grasp how one can expose oneself to that so excessively.

2 Likes

I walk my dogs for an hour every morning and never with any music, radio or podcasts. There is a sensible aspect to this - I walk my dogs off the lead and although the roads are quiet there are occasional cars, tractors or lorries. Hearing them coming is important so I can make sure the dogs are under control. But there also a thinking to myself aspect. I plan the day. I chew over plans and problems. I let my mind wander. But its not meditative.

4 Likes

We were passed by a young woman one morning.She was wearing headphones,walking in the cycle lane(there is a footpath)with her back to the traffic.At least she’ll never know what hit her.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t “silent walking” involve wearing ear plugs?

Whether you are in town or in the country, it must be very rare not to have any background noise at all.

When I’m out walking, I like to hear the birds singing, lambs bleating, cows mooing, things rustling in the undergrowth - and if I’m in town, I want to hear if traffic is approaching or a bicycle is about to mow me down!

I’ve never considered wearing headphones, earbuds or ear plugs when I’m outside.

2 Likes

Similar - no lead. This was Max earlier this year.

Unfortunately he died earlier this year. Now we have the wee Springer Spaniel. She is beautifully behaved.- and also no lead required.

And silence.

1 Like

I often go for walks, but I would never wear any earphones or anything like that. I like to be aware of my surroundings. I reserve my earbuds for shopping with the wife, where they help preserve my sanity.

3 Likes

We don’t go shopping. Period.

1 Like

I can’t believe we are actually discussing this. It’s like the people who walk with headphones, earbuds and the like are the normal ones…Have we descended into the world of science fiction and not realised that we were going there. For some, there is no way back… :009:

1 Like

You won’t believe how many albums I listen to whilst sat outside a fitting room when the wife is trying stuff on. My phone and earbuds are a godsend.

1 Like

It’s getting easier for people to be controlled,I think.

1 Like

I had a Sony Walkman back in '82 but soon kicked the habit.

Yep, give them some music to listen to or a film on netflix and it stops them thinking about anything else. Bloody Zombies…
When was it that we had to have music in our heads whenever we go out walking or sitting on public transport, or even walking down the street and jogging for God’s sake…?
I like watching films or listening to music, but I reserve it for when I’m sat down comfy and warm at home with a glass of red in my hand…
:wine_glass:
Cheers Mr Smith…

1 Like

Ouch! We actually had the Covid and Flu today. That’s extent for shopping for several weeks.

1 Like