Shops making us feel older, or less capable?

:joy: very funny!

The trouble is @scot37 when they do all of these price comparison surveys they never factor in the savings made with a loyalty card. We save lots of money each year with Tesco, either on daily price reductions in store for loyalty card holders, or money off coupons throughout the year and especially at Christmas. Mrs Fox saves them up to use at Christmas. And to be fair, the coupons are for things we usually buy.

We do the same and also buy as much as possible via our Sainsburyā€™s CC to collect nectar points for buying presents etc. Providing we pay the CC bill in full by the due date over the phone (free number), there are no charges.

1 Like

I could be wrong @AnnieS (not likely) but I think Harbal meant that he had been asked at the normal till with a checkout girl/man operator if he would like help with his packing, and not the self scan till.
Unless you have been selected for a check (rare) you donā€™t need to unpack your shopping once youā€™ve scanned it and packed it away. (tidy)

I have never found nectar points any use at all .
I donā€™t understand how using a CC to pay is any advantage ?

We have a Tesco clubcard but find most of these offers are for stuff we do not use. I get my petrol from Tesco so use it then but that is only about every two months. Hardly worth it for us. Besides Aldi is closer.

I am delighted when the young woman approaches me in the queue at the bank and wants to show me how the machine works. It means that I save time. But I do not intend to learn from the experience. Next time I shall repeat the process.

1 Like

Those giving cash back or giving purchasing power points make a great deal of sense!

Shops what are shopsā€¦ :icon_confused:
Of yes those placed I used to go in before Covid, I wonder if I will get around to using them againā€¦

Personally I leave Aldi for the poor people. Aldi shoppers must like having their shopping thrown at them and having to pack it themselves while the checkout chick and the rest of the queue glares and tuts at them. At least at Coles and Woollies the girls pack your bags for you and chat, even if you go through the self checkouts the girl there is chatty and helpful and Dragon Fruit or Avacado is so much cheaper when you tell the machine it is potato.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised at that @scot37 the coupons we get from Tesco are normally for the things we useā€¦
A new Aldi has just opened near us and Mrs Fox likes the fruit and veg, but Tesco is still our preferred shop. And anyway, I do most of the shopping and I know where everything is in Tesco. I can be in and out in twenty minutesā€¦ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

We only have a Tesco loyalty card and donā€™t buy enough from shops using nectar to make it worth while @Muddy however, I do have a Tesco credit card and always pay using that, we make further savings by using it also. My bank has just changed from Yorkshire Bank to Virgin Money and itā€™s crap, so I avoid using my debit card wherever possible. I also still use cash as much as I canā€¦Call me ā€˜Oldfashionedā€™ā€¦

Like both of you I hate the self service checkouts. They never work for me & I end up calling for assistance anyway, so now I just queue at the cashiers. I do say if asked, I donā€™t want to use the self service, I prefer a person.

1 Like

Yes I can now see that he was talking about the past before he used self scan

1 Like

I thought that too and would wizz round Tesco for a few things on my way home from the pool. :+1: Went in one day to find it had all been switched round, :triumph: and I couldnā€™t find a damn thing I wanted. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

When that happens, I call for a gofer and hand them my list.

Itā€™s surprising how many things are still in the same place @Rox They do tend to move the odd item for christmas, but the bread, frozen stuff, veg and fruit, wines and spirits, and my favourite isle, the biscuits and cakes have been in the same place ever since I took over the shopping 25 years ago when I had a vanā€¦
:truck:

yes they have a classic format based on shopper psychology. So they make sure they put the bread and milk somewhere in the middle and you suddenly find lots of items on the way that you didnā€™t realise you desperately needed!

1 Like

As most on this site will know, after a certain age thatā€™s all you do find yourself talking about. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I know itā€™s meant to work that way but itā€™s the opposite with me. If I canā€™t find it I leave and go to the other shop, I donā€™t have time for faffing about on my way home. :smirk: