Sewage pollution alerts issued for almost 50 beaches in England and Wales

As much as I prefer talking about population as opposed to sewage…well, you know the rest.

This sort of pollution happens all the time all over the country. The water people don’t care as at worst all they will get is a small fine so it makes economic sense for them to keep doing it. No reason for them to want to undertake to sort it out as long as this is tolerated by our government (who probably are big shareholders).

3 Likes

My ex-husband always went on about his childhood holidays in Blue Anchor, Devon.
He remembers there were always faeces floating by, whilst he was swimming in the sea with his dad.

I’ll be attaching a little muslin bag to the tip of my snorkel from now on that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Or get a longer snorkel :wink:

1 Like

Ooh er missus ! :open_mouth:

1 Like

3m length of (ironically) cistern overflow pipe, perhaps held aloft with some helium balloons should do it.

1 Like

But of course, why didn’t I think of that!
NHS here I come :diving_mask:

1 Like

In aussie land they are known as Bondi cigars ?

Beaches in East Sussex have been closed after untreated wastewater was released into the sea at the shoreline.

Beaches in Bexhill and Normans Bay were shut after “significant” electrical issues at a pumping station.

In neighbouring Hastings, the borough council also advised people from swimming at Pelham Beach due to a pollution risk.

A Southern Water spokesman said the firm was “deeply sorry” and it understood “the distress this causes”.

The liquid, including sewage, started being released when the primary power and back-up system failed on Wednesday.

Hugo Tagholm, head of Surfers Against Sewage, said: “Water companies have flipped from extreme drought to extreme sewage pollution. Years of underinvestment is now in plain sight. It’s time that huge water company profits were diverted to properly managing water and sewage, and protect people and planet. Our rivers and beaches should not be subject to this type of industrial environmental vandalism.”

I’m with Hugo … :+1:

1 Like

Me too! But will the greedy water companies listen? I think not :frowning_face:

1 Like

or will useless politcians act at all - the sign of a clean country is always a clean loo!

@gumbud , Do you mean to say you blokes. ( and blokesses) drop your
kacks whilst surfing ??
Or is it an involuntary action when taking a dump ??:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Untreated sewage flowed into the sea last week, causing the closure of two beaches at Porthcawl, Bridgend county, for nearly four days.

The Welsh government said it has committed £40m to improve the situation over the next three years.

But campaigners said that was not good enough.

“This is people’s lives you know: it’s frightening,” Wendy Broom, a co-founder of the cold water swimming group Newton Buoyant Bluetits told BBC Radio Wales.

Ms Broom said her group of swimmers learned about the closures only when another campaign group, Surfers Against Sewage, got in touch.

Welsh Water is currently consulting on a 25-year plan to prevent combined sewer overflows (CSOs), where sewage is released into the environment to prevent it from backing up into peoples’ homes.

25 years to prevent overflows … :scream:

Hi

Enforcement was savaged, no need for it at .all

Industry would regulate itself.

Truss and Rees Mogg still believe this.

1 Like

I heard today that they are now saying that some shell fish could be contaminated by this!

2 Likes

Public urged not to swim after sewage released at Pembrokeshire and Anglesey beaches

An alert has been issued at Barafundle Bay in Pembrokeshire after sewage was discharged from a nearby sewer within the last forty-eight hours.

Warnings have also been put in place at Wiseman’s Bridge and Saundersfoot beach, also in Pembrokeshire, while a fourth warning is in place at Benllech beach in Anglesey.

There will be more … :poop:

Hi

Barafundle Bay is absolutely gorgeous and used to be pristine.

Hi

Yes and now our fishermen are losing money due to having to provide microbiological test results which are expensive and mean they can’t get full price for the shellfish

@swimfeeders , All this is true, but EU owns our water companies !!
Plus a few tories as well of course !! :thinking::thinking::thinking: