Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Someone I know was telling me the other day that she got a call on her mobile, which appeared to be from her brother, so she answered it, and it wasn’t him at all, it was a recorded HRMC message. I’m fairly sure someone else on here mentioned this happening a while ago but I can’t find the post now. Its scary how they (scammers) seem to make the call look like someone on their contacts list :shock:

:023:

Yes, they’re very easy to recognise and, for that reason, they seem to prey on the most easily fooled: old people who know little or nothing about computers for example - like my mother-in-law.
Actually, having said that, they’re lucky to get anywhere with her as she’s as deaf as a post and strings them along without even being aware that she’s doing it!

For example: “Which is the ‘any’ key?”

I received 6 calls to my mobile on Thursday each from a different mobile number - I blocked each one without answering but still they came! I received two yesterday but none today so far. If I don’t recognise a number I always block it without answering.

last year I had a call from a friend, now we never phone one another, the only contact we have is a xmas card each year, but she phoned and asked if I had called her, which I hadn’t, she told me that when she answered her phone my name and number came up , but the caller said he was from BT, and that he could get her a better deal, she hung up…sounded like a scam, but how did my name and number appear on her screen

I like her and I don’t even know her…

I could be wrong, Paula, but i have heard that, if the scammer puts someone else’s name & number in the “Reply to” part of his email, that’s what comes up on the receiving screen as the sender of the scam email.

Someone may correct me on that?

That didn’t occur to me…I thought maybe thier system was hacked? Anyway they sorted me out and they know someone rang me so its up to them now…no-one has enquired any further though so I doubt they are taking it seriously.

[CENTER]Census Scam[/CENTER]

I have just had a text message about “missing information” on my census application and failure to update will result in a £1000 fine. Please visit incorrect website cited for gov.uk

Fair enough, so its taken them 10 years to discover it. And they got the website wrong. I checked on the Scottish government website and there is actually a section about this kind of scam. Our census isn’t until next year, but given that England have recently completed theirs, I thought I would give a heads up in case anyone gets this same message.

https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/news-and-events/census-scam-alert/

Scam emails are being sent impersonating the NHS, regarding applying for a Digital Passport. The link takes you to a fake NHS website that asks for payment details.
Vaccination status is obtained FREE through the NHS App or website - This is the correct link to use -

They’ll try anything to part us from our money…

Had one today on my mobile phone pretending to be from ParcelForce saying that they was unable to deliver a parcel and that I was to click on a link (touch link with my finger) to have it re-delivered. Firstly i was not expecting any parcels from ParcelForce, secondly ParcelForce always put a card through the door if they can’t deliver a parcel, thirdly the web address in the link was not a proper parcelforce web address and most importantly, ParcelForce have no idea who I am thus how do they know to text message me.

Just had a telephone call from Visa with a recorded message telling me that somebody had made an illegal transaction of £900 on my card.

No other details.

If it wasn’t me then press 1 to cancel the transaction.

The telephone no: they rang from is 01235 512 710

It’s a scam.

They always seem to say “press 1”, which I think is a bit of a giveaway.

Here’s another one from my Neighbourhood Alert people this morning:

We have been made aware of a Covid Vaccine Passport scam email going around that purports to be from the NHS and informs recipients that they can apply for their “Digital Coronavirus Passports”

Clicking on the link within the email, takes you to a convincing but fake NHS website that asks for personal and payment details. (for an admin fee)

The website has since been taken down, but in case similar emails/websites appear can you please circulate the attached alert to your residents, members, groups and mailing lists.

And just to reiterate, your vaccination status is obtained FREE through the NHS App, website or by calling the NHS on 119.

More information can be found on the gov.uk website;
NHS COVID Pass - GOV.UK

Please note that any Phishing scams can be reported to SERS (Suspicious Email Reporting Service): report@phishing.gov.uk

Good One, Mups!

:023:

I’m not sure this is a scam or not. This morning I answered our landline phone and listened to a recorded message supposedly from BT telling me that there was a text message waiting for me and to press 1.

Now, in the past, I’ve sent text messages to our SKY landline and the call HAS come through BT’s text service but we haven’t been asked to press 1. Suspecting it might be a scam, I didn’t press 1 and hung up.

Since then I’ve learned that an ex-colleague has passed away suddenly (late diagnosed pancreatic cancer) and now I’m wondering if that call was actually genuine. I can’t do 1471 because we’ve had a number of calls since I answered the one from “BT”.

I would be doubtful too, Percy…all you had to do was listen to the text message - what other options could there have been for you to have to press 1? Sorry about your colleague though. You know now, and that’s what matters.

In my opinion I think you did the right thing.
To me, “press 1” is an immediate warning sign and I’m sure that must be pretty common knowledge by now, so who in their right mind would ask you to “press 1” to receive a message.

On top of that, if it was a genuine message, the sender would almost certainly have tried to get in touch with you in an alternative way since then.

On Saturday I received a text purporting to be from Royal Mail. It stated that a parcel required a payment of £2.99 before it could be delivered. There was a link with the message. No parcel was expected from anyone, the only parcel recently was successfully delivered by UPS. The Royal Mail message was obviously a scam so was blocked to prevent further attempts. :wink: :slight_smile:

Delivery text scams and how to deal with them

[I]"If you have a habit of ordering stuff online, you’re probably no stranger to a “your parcel has been delivered” text.

That’s why they’re a good way for scammers to hook unsuspecting people in.

Three in five of us have had fake delivery company texts over the past year, according to new figures from consumer group, Which?.

The messages often contain a link that brings you to a scam website."
[/I]