Second homes in Wales could face 300% council tax hikes

I thought tenants pay their own council tax and not landlords.

1 Like

No tenants are involved in the Welsh council tax changes, which will be applied to long-term empty properties and second homes.

Oh. Thatā€™s good news for landlords then but not so good for others who want a holiday home. What does it mean for those who maybe rent their second home out for most of the year either on long term letā€™s or perhaps as short term holiday rentals, how are they classified?

Or what if they say thatā€™s there main home when itā€™s not and not have to pay extra council tax elsewhere in the UK?

1 Like

The idea behind the ā€œhikeā€ is to reduce the number of ā€œsecond homesā€ in Wales by making them to expensive to run for absentee owners.

Presumably, any registered changes to property use, e.g. from ā€œsecondā€ to ā€œmainā€, will be investigated by Welsh councils.

That would depend on the exact terms of the lease. My tenants pay their own + all utilities as stated in their leases.

Will this work the other way too since I have a friend whose main home is near Caernarfon but who bought a flat in London as she works there and obviously couldnā€™t commute and it made sense to buy rather than rent and she goes home once every other week or so. If council tax goes up for her then sheā€™ll struggle to make ends meet.

1 Like

Your friend will need the advice of a council tax ā€œexpertā€.

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll tell her to get onto it.

Just a thought, I wonder if mps have to pay higher council tax for there second homes?

1 Like

I cannot speak for Wales but here, it is a mixture of second homes & older people selling higher value homes in cities & then retiring to our area. They push up the costs of homes & destroy life within villages.

Holiday home owners do not support the local economy like residents do. The village I lived in lost itā€™s bakery, itā€™s school, a butcher from a neighbouring village stopped delivering. The bus service stopped. The Taxi service stopped. The blacksmiths became a holiday home. The closest petrol station became a housing development. The village builder my father had worked for, developed itā€™s village base into a housing development & moved 15 miles away.

It is not just a village, it is also the surrounding towns & villages. holidaymakers do not buy cars locally, so dealerships closed & petrol stations closed or stopped opening evenings. Non seasonal pubs close, shops struggle out of season.

I cannot find a link to the story now, but several years ago. A paramedic applied for & was offered a role as a community based paramedic in the coastal town of Wells next the sea. But having been offered the job, he found that he could not accept it, as his pay as a paramedic meant he could not afford to buy a home there.

Second home owners, plus our local towns & villages becoming retirement homes for older incomers, is changing villages & towns & thus what do young people do? Schools close as older people do not have children & second home owners do not use local schools. Locals find they cannot afford to live there any more. Buisness move a few miles away to areas, where second homes & incomers are not an issue & get local staff. And amenities & services get damaged.

Weve often talked about what weā€™d do if we won a,shed load on the lottery and we think weā€™d not buy anywhere but just hire places around the world and stay there for as long as it interests us and we didnā€™t get bored. Weā€™re at the stage where the number of actual personal things that we have could probably fit into a smallish box and things like cloths and cars could be replaced or hired when we moved, if we had done that sort of money. So moving would hardly be a big rigmarole and we could charity off what weā€™ accumulated when we move. Donā€™t see the need to own a big place at all so it wouldnā€™t burden local house prices.

1 Like

MPs will have to pay the full council tax in London - AFAIK, there is no ā€œhigherā€ - but can claim it back as an ā€œexpenseā€ (lucky them ā€¦ :smiley:).

Yes but thatā€™s because they work harder than us and deserve it along with regular pay increases.

2 Likes

Tongue in cheek?

1 Like

They probably claim them on expenses - which means the tax payers foot the bill!

1 Like

A new licensing scheme for people who want to operate short-term holiday lets, such as Airbnb, is also planned.

First Minister Mark Drakeford and Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price made the announcement as made as part of their co-operation agreement.

The changes to planning regulations are expected to be made by the end of the summer and will introduce three new classes of property in the planning system: a primary home, second home and short-term holiday accommodation.

Local authorities will then be able to make amendments to the planning system, ā€œwhere they have evidenceā€, to require planning permission for change of use from one class to another.

Under the new system, councils will also have the power to set a ceiling on numbers.

Such a scheme has been a long time coming - earlier may have been better when the most affected communities were still mostly Welsh.

Still, the situation has changed in favour of the Welsh people ā€¦ :+1:

1 Like