Schoolchildren nowadays

This makes me shudder actually…how awful!

Sometimes I wish I could put the lot of them in a time machine. Ship the buggers back to my school days, wake up call wouldn’t cover it. But boy would they learn a lesson…Or two. :angry:

3 Likes

Yes. Times change, but not always for the better.

There’s no way I would have continued to work at that school. I would expect the head to support me and disregard any hearsay. Many parents, including ones where I used to work, would lie through their teeth to argue against a teacher’s word.
They, as much as anyone, are the root cause of many of the problems society faces today.

4 Likes

Will any of us live so long?

Well I’m sorry but imo that was a very wrong action on the part of the Head.
Very wrong indeed.
Better to get everyone involved round the table and thrash it out.
Then the teacher involved should have demonstrated what she did with the youngster.
Being forced to apologise for something she did which was perfectly sensible was shocking.
What kind of example does that set to the children!

3 Likes

It IS. common sense. For today’s world.

Well I’m going to try my best.

1 Like

It’s no wonder that the police, fire crews and paramedics are wearing bodycams. I can see the time coming when teachers wear one and schools instal CCTV cameras in the corridors because of cases like this.

2 Likes

Spot on there Rox. I was sent to boarding school from 11 and that was best summed up as harsh & spartan, but it went a good distance into making me the man I am today; so much so I educated our girls privately which set them up for life :+1:

2 Likes

I was at private school as well, from the time I was five. The only thing that made it bearable for me was the fact two of my older sisters were there as well.

1 Like

I agree Ruthio. Most children recognize the teachers authority in school, but the more children learn how to beat the system the less authority teachers will have.
These parents knew that a lawyer & a few of the boy’s friends confirming the story would win the battle. The girl the boy bumped into was the only other person present & she was picking up the contents of her bag !

1 Like

Has anybody, during modern times, ever met a teacher who likes their job?

Already here Percy!
Digital, high-resolution cameras are everywhere, even in the pupils’ toilets now (pointing away from the cubicles obviously :flushed:).
Bad isn’t it?!

5 Likes

i know you say they are pointing away from the cubicles, but frankly I am horrified at this whole new level of invasion. What are we teaching our kids - that nothing and nowhere is sacred? That you will be observed at all times, no matter what?! I don’t like this one bit.

1 Like

Just about Ian :grin:
The good/highs still out-weigh the bad/lows…just!
There is at least 75% of our pupils who are decent, polite and hard-working at all times. They are the ones we need to think about when it gets bad.

That doesn’t make dealing with the other 25% any easier though!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I understand that PoV Pixie
but what can be done when drugs, vapes/ cigarettes or potentially (horrific I know), weapons may be changing hands in hidden areas?

Oh Rhian, I know from overseeing exams recently that all toilet breaks were monitored for fear of exam paper answers being left for each other. It’s a horrible situation, and yes, worse things than exam papers could change hands and be hidden, but c’mon…growing up being spied on is just creepy and not something that should ever be normalised! And despite criticising the procedure,
I don’t know the answer…I just shiver at the psychological impact it has on our kids futures. But you know what…thank you for what you do…it can’t be easy.

We are a society spied upon though Pixie.
Big Brother has been watching/listening/tracking us for at least 2 decades now

2 Likes

I know, I know :frowning_face: I’m just peeved that we have to indoctrinate our kids to it.