Samaritans: How Long Is Too Long?

I’ve no thoughts of suicide or self-harm, at all…no. I just like to hear the sound of a friendly voice, now and then, during mostly the overnight hours, especially when I’ve developed a few ideas to fight back. They’ve been really good with me, so far.

Thanks, for your reply, Ripple. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ian_Haines

Pleased you are getting and making the time to ring someone when you need to there is also Silver line
[Helping you | The Silver Line Helpline It is also open 24 hours a day and is a friendly voice even if only to say “Hello” Helping you | The Silver Line Helpline

Age concern also offer a befriending service Befriending - Age Concern (ageisjustanumber.org.uk)

Also don’t forget you have us,

1 Like

At least you haven’t lost your sense of humour,Ian, that helped me get through my depression…I was on so many anti depressants, .ive lost count, good old Valium was one, a good old drink was another, after a while of being on Valium , it lost its affective ness, …

If I may ask, what does CBT mean?

1 Like

Cognitive behaviour therapy

2 Likes

I was a ‘Sam’ for 10 years and in my day 30 seconds was a standard wait for a reply with calls being transferred nationally if our phones were engaged.

Being a Sam was a huge commitment, as well as a standard weekly duty there was ‘gap filling’ doing the rotas with extra duties (often an extra night from 10pm till 9am or later if you had a call) there was ongoing training/lectures/supporting other volunteers.
I guess this is just too much time to commit for some. I couldn’t do it now, it was emotionally draining.

People mistakenly think the Sams are all about suicide and yes if you ring you will be asked 'the question 'are you suicidal but they are far more than that. Their motto is ‘come quietly into my life and let me be’ in other words they listen and stand by a persons side when they need someone in whom they can confide but they don’t try to give advice or tell people what to do. By talking things through with a stranger it can help a person to put things into perspective and it is good to know that at least one person really cares about you.

I am sad to hear some people may be having a long wait to talk to someone, it takes a lot of courage to pick up the phone and a long wait must deter some callers from ringing back.

4 Likes

I had to eliminate Silverline from my list of help sources. I’d get through half of the description of my problem - had not yet even had a real conversation about them, and they’d excuse themselves and the call ended. I need a longer chat session than that. I’ve stopped phoning them, now.

I’m so sorry to hear that you are having to wait such a long time to connect with a Sam Ian … if it helps to know at all over the last couple of years waiting lists for all kinds of counselling and listening services have grown rapidly and of course at the same time people with counselling an listening skills have been ‘off sick’ often with Covid which has made services harder to wo/man and recruit for.

It sounds like you have found great support from them and I’m sure they are happy to hear from you however many times you ring.

I hope your telephone CBT help goes well … there are a lot of support groups too within Local Authority NHS services Ian … they might be a source of support too.

Good luck :o)

1 Like

Thanks, for your reply, Sofea.

There is the NHS Crisis Line, for those who cannot get through on the Sams line.

Those call handlers have few restrictions to which they must adhere, and the best calls, in the last few months, have been really nice to look forward to making. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ian we have a nice of lovely people in this forum. Can we help in any with your problems? Please chat with anything at all that will help.

1 Like

I’ll probably do that, as time goes by, Besoeker.

I’ve several times noticed how nice the folk are, here.

Thanks, for the reply.

1 Like

Ian, have you ever considered joining a church or a religious group?

With your permission, good Lady, I’d like to send you a private message? Would that be okay for me to do?

Hi.I don’t know if I should be adding My thoughts to this thread…but…My own life has changed so much over the past 29 yrs since My Partner killed Himself…There was never any discussion about depression or Samaritans or anything else really…His problem along with hundreds of others was finding a job after being made redundant when Thatcher shut all the Steelworks where He had worked since He left school.
No-one would ever have believed this happy go lucky big giant of a Man would even have had any thoughts of suicide…but…that’s what happened…He was just 42 yrs of age…If only He had talked to Me or anyone about how he was feeling…A bit of Me died with Him…so…please…talk…just talk.xx

5 Likes

Oh May that is so terribly sad I am sorry .

My experiences are the terrible loneliness of being either end of the phone . I worked 5 years as a Sam , and sadly I’ve also been so lost I had need to ring during the worst times of my life . The feelings are so overwhelming and I think having people who love you to talk to can for moments help the feelings of despair .

I’m sorry about your lovely man , talking is so important, sharing and loving and just being there to listen to each other during sad bad times :two_hearts:

Oh May, I am so saddened to read your story. To loose a loved one in that way. ((((HUGS))))

Ian yes of course you can send me a PM if you wish.

1 Like