Sainsbury's to be taken to court by Autistic man

I don’t need to.

Rules is rules…

2 Likes

well yeah, I guess the dementia residents are still institutionalized but when I worked in the care home we tried our best to make sure the residents weren’t just left sat in their chairs or beds and we did activities and had fun with them.

Even though these people are mentally ill they are still people who need stimulation.

However, I have to say sadly some institutionalism does still go on by putting the residents to bed early but that couldn’t be helped, we had so many residents and not enough staff.

My mother was institutionalised in a mental hospital due to a mental breakdown and schizophrenia many years ago and it was vile the neglect that went on, so it’s good to know times have moved on and these people still have some kind of life. So while we still have institutionalism it’s so much better.

https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-05-27/man-sues-sainsburys-for-banning-his-assistance-cat

Mr Fenn said he contacted Sainsbury’s ahead of his visit in March, and was told it should be fine.

My sympathy/empathy is with the cat! What gives humans the right to assume they can use animals in this way?

2 Likes

He could always swap the cat for a Penthouse Pet as I’m sure one of those would be acceptable :wink::ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

Is the cat on a lead of some sort? Else what would happen if a dog went for it, or if something scared it and it ran in the road?

If he really can’t go to Sainsbury’s without his cat, heaven help him when it dies.

I also agree with Muddy about it setting a precedent. What about assistance Parrots? :wink:

Long john Silver had one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree Tabby!
Apparently this man has taken the cat into other Sainsbury supermarkets, who allowed him to do so, but we all know that most cats like to be in their own territory where they feel safe.
If shopping makes him less calm, surely some arrangement could be made ( like click and collect) so he could do his shopping & not need to take the cat in the shop.

1 Like

[quote=“LionQueen, post:16, topic:91465”]
I agree with pixie. He needs a support person with him . The only animals that should be allowed in supermarkets are blind people dogs.[/quote]
Just a thought…if the person was blind would a supermarket be any use to him - or his dog?

Or better still, just have his shopping delivered!

IF he really is in such a bad way that he gets too anxious to cope alone, I agree with others who say he needs someone with him to keep an eye on him and help him. After all, his cat can’t really get things off the shelves for him, or help him through the check out!
And like some have said, what about the cat - does he/she enjoy being carted around in crowds and traffic?

1 Like

Or just have his groceries delivered to his door. That’s what we do…

Great minds…:slight_smile:

An increasing number of items have the contents of the packets in braille.

But wouldn’t the blind person need a helper to find the items on the shelves? Without the dog. Or cat.

1 Like

No idea how it works but apparently it does.

With no helpers?

I know they are allowed but have never seen a blind person with a dog in a supermarket.

Click and collect, deliveroo or some such. This man should not be allowed out to test the patience of supermarket staff.

Nor I. If the blind person can’t see could the dog pick the pick the correct aisles…