Russell Brand: Met Police receive report of alleged sexual assault in 2003

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66849965

The debate spreads:

Accuser calls for legal ‘staggered ages of consent’

One of the women who has accused Russell Brand of sexual assault when she was 16 told BBC Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour yesterday that the allegations against him had been “a long time coming”.

Speaking for the first time since the accusations became public, the woman, known as Alice, called for an introduction of legal “staggered ages of consent”, suggesting people over 18 should not be allowed to have sex with 16 and 17-year-olds (1).

The age of consent in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland is 16. This means it is against the law to have sex with someone under the age of 16 in the UK.

As long as a person is 16 or older, there is no minimum age gap for relationships or sexual encounters in the UK - unless the older person is a teacher or in a position of authority, where different rules can apply. That means that, for instance, a 16-year-old can consent to a relationship with most 30-year-olds in the UK.

(1) that’ll never work - unless teenagers have ID implants … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I suspect that Brand is quite happy that people are talking about him.

2 Likes

I don’t like the bloke , foul mouthed not my kind of person , but , a question I’d like to ask the 16 year old girl who went twice to his house in a layed on car by the BBC is

Why did you go to his house, did it not occur to you that sex may be involved ?

He was a druggie a boozer , not particularly a nice person , why didn’t she and the others keep well away

7 Likes

why is it I get a creepy feeling about this being Jimmy Saville all over again?

1 Like

Regarding Jimmy Savile I agree …it didn’t help that all his accusers shared his vast fortune that was supposed to go to his charitable trust…law firms took the rest so the charities missed out on £4.3 million

1 Like

Youngsters are easily impressed especially when you have a big name taking an interest flattering them , sending a car …
Grooming may well of played a part in this case.

2 Likes

Savile’s fortune .
His charity work was underpinned with perversion , it kept him in touch with a supply of fresh victims .
This being the case I believe it was the right decision most of the money went to the victims

1 Like

He’s certainly not the most attractive of creatures. As my old Scottish mum would have said, “That bugger could do with a good scrub!” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :laughing:

1 Like

Part of me agrees, but another part thinks that it was never established in court or in law just who was a victim

That sort of money might well have encouraged people to come forward and make claims who didn’t have a genuine case

In wasn’t the fault of the charities he supported that he was a pervert (if he was, that’s not been established in law either)

So I think most of the money should have gone to the charities, maybe some to charities that help abuse victims, rather than to individuals

I’m not defending him, the evidence is pretty overwhelming, I know, but I don’t like to see these feeding frenzies

4 Likes

I lay no blame at the doors of the charity’s
However I feel the victims should get first dibs.
I’m almost sure many victims didn’t come forward, I don’t believe I would want to relive events .
Also scammers may well of received a payout
However genuine victims of Savile have receive acknowledgement of their suffering also some financial compensation .

1 Like

Actually it didn’t Ripple…

Quote:-

Lawyers ‘get £2.5million of Jimmy Savile’s estate leaving just £1million for the paedophile DJ’s victims’

Hate to say that folks who have strong opinions tend to make a lot of cash along the way, this instinct may dilute their stance, maybe a lack of Youtube revenue will refocus the mind?

Is that all the old letch left just over 3 million! Shocked

1 Like

My problem is that it hasn’t been proved in court that there were any genuine victims?

I’m not saying there weren’t any, just that what hadn’t been proved in law shouldn’t receive compensation in law

Impossible to establish in every case without a trial if it was genuine or not so I think the money should have gone to charities

2 Likes

I believe that most victims of sexual assault would rather see the perpetrator imprisoned, monetary compensation cannot erase memories. Acknowledgement that they are believed is (imo) much more important and relevant.

Why would Coleen lie?

2 Likes

Publicity? Attention? Fading career? jumping on the band wagon? Getting paid for her story?

She’s hardly a victim and it’s a non-story anyway

She says he invited her to his room? Well, that may be true or she may have made it up, no evidence either way?

But even if he did, inviting someone to your room isn’t a crime

And she didn’t go, so neither we or she know if he would have assaulted her if she did?

The rest is just her opinion that she thought at the time he might be a dirty old man and creepy. Her opinions don’t prove him guilty of anything

That is exactly the sort of story that I hate, no evidence, adding absolutely nothing

She wasn’t assaulted or abused or a victim, just invited somewhere, maybe, if it’s true, and to join in the media frenzy she’s built it up to be a big thing starring her, wanting part of the limelight

Which I think is very offensive to genuine victims

3 Likes

Shocked to the core about Russell Brand.

The allegations are overwhelming.

I never knew he was a comedian!?

3 Likes

Off Topic
I’m sure victims would rather the perpetrator of the crime be found guilty and imprisoned as well as receiving compensation.

I am glad Colleen Nolan spoke out and no don’t believe for a moment it was a lie . I am sure many of JS victims can relate to Colleens experience of the invitation and sadly worse.

Yes I agree Maree…I object to trial by media.

But what exactly did she speak out about? …. He once invited her to his room, she didn’t go and nothing happened? It’s not exactly earth shattering or a brave revelation, is it?

If there are genuine victims, (I think there are, but it’s never been proven in court) even then, an invitation to a room isn’t an assault. An unpleasant experience maybe but not enough to call them a victim?

Obviously, if they went to the room and abuse did happen, that’s serious and very sad and they need help and support, but I don’t see how Colleen jumping on the bandwagon assists with that

1 Like