RSPCA rescues greedy squirrel from bird feeder

I love them .

1 Like

This one deserves to get his nuts… :shushing_face: :innocent:

1 Like

That made me laugh! :grinning:

That will teach him to be a bit more careful next time!

We have a squirrel that comes around every morning and makes a dash for the bird feeder containing peanuts. It hangs from a wire and somehow the crafty little devil (meant nicely!) manages to lift the feeder off the hook and help himself to the spilt nuts all over the ground. :grinning:

1 Like

I have managed to stop that by hooking the feeder between two branches, one of which hooks over the band at the top of the feeder… The squirrels are clever but their physiology lets them down. That along with a lack of team work. the little blighters are not team players otherwise the whole world would be in trouble.

2 Likes

Thanks for the idea Annie, I’ll try something like that! :grinning:

2 Likes

Cheeky squirrels used to nick my strawberries … and I wouldn’t mind but they nibbled at them and then left them lying all along the paths.

And every spring when I dug my pots over I find chunky fat balls buried inside.

Don’t forget all you over’s…like they do forget where they had buried them,
Some of the acorns they bury…,
They grow into Grand Oak Trees…So they are thinking very green for mankind, do you see that now. :eyes:

1 Like

Pretty annoying the video stopped before the squirrel was set free!!

1 Like

Lady in the video says, 'maybe if you hadn’t eaten so many nuts, you wouldn’t have gotten stuck in there." lol

2 Likes

I suppose it all depends on how much you like invasive rodent species

There’s loads of them down our local park in the mornings. They are so used to people and their dogs walking through the park, they don’t even bother to run off.

I don’t mind them out in places like that, but it’s a different kettle of fish when the little wretches come and dig out my pots and tubs early in the mornings to hide their treasures!
I got fed up with sweeping all the compost up and putting it back in the tubs, so have had to put chicken wire over the top of everything now. Grrrr . . :angry:

I have a strategy for that Mups. I put broken bits of plant pots on the earth around bedding plants that are in pots. If there are bulbs then I have some foil plates with holes in that go over bulbs planted in pots. These are weighed down by broken bits of old ceramic pots. It has worked very well so far. Like I said they are let down by their physiology and lack of team working skills. Squirrels seem very competitive with each other and they have only little paws which are great for climbing but rubbish for lifting anything too heavy. It’s also a handy way to recycle cracked pots.

I must admit to feeding a nursing squirrel mum in the Spring of this year. She used to come up on the flat roof by where I work and I used to throw peanuts out there for the birds. She would eat the nuts and then jump up to the window to tell me she was still hungry. It was a mutually rewarding relationship for a few weeks as it always brought a smile to my face. I sometimes wonder how many of the squirrels in the garden are from her offspring.

…the RSPCA is now advising people to pick a simpler design when choosing a bird feeder so squirrels and other small animals do not get stuck.

I think that why they chose that one. To keep squirrels out of bird feeder!

We have lots here - feed them separate, but always get to bird feeders.

This little dude always make me laugh.
Try so hard…

1 Like

Aww I almost feel sorry for it. The cone is a good idea.

Thanks for the info about how you protect your pots, Annie. :+1:

1 Like

Aaawwwww poor wee soul, he was determined wasn’t he. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

Hmm tree rats my winged friend has a penchant for them lol!

Ooh, he’s a beauty, Jaded. :+1:

Ahhh bless.

Very cute the way Ms/Mr squirrel has poked his her head out.
Yes I like squirrels