Rishi Sunak says he will introduce £10 fines to people missing GP appts - Update - Backtrack

Surely she should have had to go back to the hospital, Rather than her GP or his nurse! :rage:
The hospital doctor is responsible for checking that the wound is healing ok. I would have complained ro the hospital & my GP, but I think it is unfair to ask a nurse who had no knowledge of what had been done at the hospital.

No they tend to discharge back to community/ GP care with anything like that these days Twink. This is how our mum ended up with an eye infection because the stitches were left to the GP and nurse to remove. The GP left a stitch knot inside the healing wound which then swelled up into a massive blood bubble. This burst all over the floor. Thank goodness that there was an urgent care centre still around then. All between Christmas and New year so was impossible to make a further appointment.

Sorry to hear that Annie!

So who is to blame if things go wrong and cause further problems?
If it is the GP then maybe they need more training on post operative care!

The GP is ultimately responsible for all patients on their list.

Argghhhhhhh!!!

Fortunately my local surgery is very good but, trying to get through to mum’s GP surgery is not an easy task, especially in the mornings. For this to work fairly, then first there needs to be an easy and accessible way to cancel (or rebook) an appointment if you cannot attend. I have no problem with GP’s having a word with persistent non-attenders but, on the whole, I think fining people is not a good idea.

On the other hand, it would be nice if I could claim £10 everytime I arrive early for an appointment and am still waiting 15 minutes after I should have been seen :slightly_smiling_face:

Only 15 minutes ?

1 Like

Our surgery has a machine to book yourself in rather than wait at reception, first time I used it got an electronic telling off for being 5 minutes late. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That happened to me once. What was more annoying is that my GP was running 25 minutes late. He did apologise though.

1 Like

Our dentist has been charging for missed appointments for years.

1 Like

Yet they have no problem cancelling appointments.

1 Like

Really? My dentist has never cancelled any of my appointments.

You are lucky then .

After I had my knee replaced I had a lot of hospital outpatient appointments. I got a phone call from the hospital beforehand reminding me and asking if I was going to attend. This system slashed the number of DNAs (did not attend) to very few.

Id like to think this would work with GP appointments. The cost of doing this, especially with texts would be much lower than than the cost of missed appointments

1 Like

My GP and my dentist text me the day before an appointment asking me to reply “Yes” if I am going to attend the appointment. I don’t know if they reallocate the appointment if you don’t reply but as they are self employed they could hardly fine me.

Bruce

If a patient fails to attend a private dental appointment with the dentist,they will be charged for some or all of the cost of that appointment, in proportion to the length of the appointment and any laboratory fees incurred . The final decision is at the discretion of the Practice owner.
You can also be removed from their list

Labour have a good counter policy, everyone who gets a £10 fine will get a free prescription. :icon_wink:

wot even now after his victory?

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has scrapped a Conservative leadership campaign pledge he made to fine patients who miss GP and hospital appointments £10.

Critics of the proposal included doctors’ union the British Medical Association (BMA), which said it would “make matters worse” and threaten the NHS’s principle of free care at the point of need.

Outlining the policy in July, Mr Sunak said patients would be given the “benefit of the doubt” the first time they missed an appointment without providing sufficient notice, but further absences would incur a £10 charge.

The decision came as Mr Sunak met patients and staff at Croydon University Hospital in his first visit as prime minister.

U-turn for Sunak … :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

Backpedaling is a Tory staple lol