Rishi Sunak’s Vacation: California, US: Taylor Swift and Disneyland. (The Rest Is a Secret.)

Rishi Sunak’s Vacation: Taylor Swift and Disneyland. (The Rest Is a Secret.)

Thanks in part to careful media handling, the British prime minister, who has been criticized for his wife’s wealth and his U.S. ties, survived a trip to California with barely a peep of reproach.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of Britain and his wife, Akshata Murty, with their daughters, Krishna, far left, and Anoushka in Santa Monica, Calif, this month.Credit…Emma Mcintyre/Getty Images

Rishi Sunak, in a grey top and short pants, walks with his wife, Akshata Murty, who is wearing a pink top and long, brightly colored skirt, and their two young daughters along the Santa Monica Pier under a blue sky.

By Mark Landler

Aug. 16, 2023

Just last year, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak’s political fortunes almost collapsed over his wealthy wife’s privileged tax status in Britain. He was also criticized for holding a green card, which allowed him to live and work in the United States, sowing suspicions that his heart lay in California, where he began his career and where he met his wife at business school.

Yet last week, when Mr. Sunak and his family spent a 10-day vacation at their multimillion-dollar penthouse apartment in Santa Monica, Calif., there was scarcely a peep about it in the British papers.

The difference, analysts said, attests both to evolving views of Mr. Sunak, a onetime hedge fund manager who became prime minister last October, and to Downing Street’s shrewd media management of the Sunak family’s American vacation.

The family stayed largely under the radar, emerging only for a carefully staged photo opportunity at an amusement park on the Santa Monica Pier, playing games on what was Mr. Sunak’s first vacation in nearly four years. He and his wife, Akshata Murty, also took their two young daughters, Krishna and Anoushka, to Disneyland, where, he said, he was excited to try a “Star Wars”-themed ride.

The rest of the prime minister’s movements were largely the subject of social media hearsay. He was spotted at a 7 a.m. SoulCycle class by a woman who posted on TikTok that he must be a “Swiftie,” since the class worked out to Taylor Swift’s music. Further evidence for that came after reports that Mr. Sunak had caught a show by Ms. Swift, whose Eras tour rolled through Los Angeles while he was there.

Downing Street declined to confirm whether he was at the concert, in keeping with its policy of not commenting on every detail of his vacation. That gave Mr. Sunak a cloak of privacy unknown to American presidents, whose attempts at R & R are tediously documented by a trailing pool of reporters and photographers.

There was no evidence that Mr. Sunak socialized with Hollywood celebrities or Silicon Valley moguls during his time there. And the family’s other outings — the excursion to Disneyland and the rumored Taylor Swift concert — put them in the same company as thousands of families with young daughters.

Paradoxically, Mr. Sunak’s affluence might have helped rather than hurt him: Unlike some of his predecessors, who were invited by well-heeled businesspeople or celebrities, he almost certainly paid his own way.

Fair play to Rishi - no freeloading or hobnobbing … :+1:

Westminster is very much like Disneyland.It’s all one big pleasure trip with people going around in circles with fantasy characters.

1 Like

The Sunaks are trying to muffle extravagance by flying “commercial” rather than indulging the prime minister’s predilection for private jets. That is canny of them - a “PJ” return trip for the family would cost around $300,000 (£235,000). They’ll be more frugality because they’ll be no hotel or rental costs. The Sunaks will be staying in the $5m (£3.9m) penthouse apartment they already own on Ocean Boulevard in Santa Monica.

Though whether it will be big enough to accommodate the prime ministerial entourage, funded by the taxpayer, is another question. According to Cherie Blair, her husband’s prime ministerial vacations required the presence of “three garden girls (the Downing Street secretaries) to do shifts because he has to have a 24-hour office, the comms people to take in secure lines to the White House and No 10, the detectives who come every day with the red boxes”. Mr Sunak may get by with a smaller team since he is only expecting “daily updates from his private office”.

Cherie admits the family were “house bandits” inviting themselves as guests in other people’s property. Blair’s image was damaged by the hospitality he accepted from Sir Cliff Richard, the Bee Gee Maurice Gibb, the Bamford JCB dynasty and the Italian aristocrat Prince Girolamo Strozzi, among others.

Margaret Thatcher used to impose on a friend as well. She spent several summer breaks away from Number 10 at the Swiss lakeside schloss of Lady Elenore Glover, the widow of a Tory MP.

Like much else during his premiership, Boris Johnson’s holiday diary was chaotic - including Perugia, Greece, Mustique and Margate. It remains a mystery who picked up the tab for some of his luxury trips with Carrie.

OTOH:

John Major and Gordon Brown did not attract attention with their holidays because they did not amount to much.

Major watched cricket and bought a second home in Norfolk.

A glum looking Brown took off his red tie in Suffolk but rushed back to London at the first news of anything happening.

:069:

What’s it got to do with anyone how he spends his holidays?..leave the poor chap alone.

3 Likes

Hear, hear,

2 Likes

Another non news story

1 Like

The PM should go to Disney Land, its always good to get a bit of a reality check :icon_wink:

Hi

I think that all Politicians should have as many holidays as possible.

If they are not at work it lessens the amount of damage they can do.

Well, i don’t do jokes, quizzes or games … :man_shrugging:

:grinning:

… and I’m delighted to learn that our PM is a successful businessman; well placed to run the country.

1 Like

Go on go on you know you want too :wink:

Hi

Rishi is incredibly rich, good for him and his wife.

I have no jealously of either of them.

He is so out of touch with us ordinary people he should never have been our Prime Minister.

1 Like

You took the words right out of my mouth :wink:

Actually I disagree he is out of touch …I was in Kirby Sigston where he lives the other day having lunch at the local pub and I chatted to the Landlady and some of the locals they all said he was a thoroughly nice chap…very approachable and part of the community.

Its very agricultural around there so there are people from all walks of life…his house although large isnt that grand and until recently after Greenpeace draped it in black had very little security…I like Rishi we should give him a chance.

1 Like