Rishi Sunak faces questions over wife Akshata Murty's non-dom tax status

Has he changed the law somehow to benefit his wife or has he just followed it?

It is legal his wife was BORN in india .

So neither he nor his wife have done anything untoward? Has a change to the law ever been proposed and did he block the suggestion somehow, possibly abusing his position while doing it?

Nope they are in the clear .

1 Like

Of course it’s all very galling that that the man who puts the hard word on everyone’s else’s tax just happens to be married to one of the 10 richest women in the world !
I only wonder why he bothers to be an MP at all but everyone seemed to think he wanted to be PM .
Think this information .may have put the kibosh on this idea .

He’s moved out of number 11 so maybe he’s going to resign .

1 Like

It was reported that the Sunak family moving out of Downing Street into their own London home had already been planned before these recent attacks on the personal finances of him and his wife.

I agree it is likely to cast a shadow over his chances of taking over as next PM, though - It has never been an easy jump from Chancellor to PM, even if your wife isn’t one of the richest women, so it doesn’t take much to get the public riled up against the person responsible for taxation rates.

The worry for me is, if the folk who are out to get Rishi succeed in knocking him off the contender list for PM, the bookies’ next “favourite” is Liz Truss …
I’d rather have Rishi in charge than Liz Truss, any day of the week! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Don’t really get it. Who on here, if they were in the same position, would put their hands up and say please can I pay more tax than I legally have to?

1 Like

When you are so rich what a bit of tax matter?

1 Like

I refer you to my post #51 above. A good tax accountant is worth their weight in gold.

1 Like

Are you saying that you would then?

Her yearly dividends are £11.6 million and goodness only knows what other stuff they have so a bit more tax won’t bother them .
If I had their money it wouldn’t bother me .

1 Like

Fair enough. That’s blown my argument out of the water.

Not quite:

Under-fire Rishi Sunak moved belongings out of Downing Street today, as he desperately clung on to his job as Chancellor. Removals vans were seen lining up to take furniture and personal items from the flat shared by Mr Sunak and wife Akshata Murthy and move them to their newly-refurbished, luxury West London pad. A red velvet armchair, a shelving unit and several bags and boxes were loaded onto two trucks, which arrived at Downing Street’s back gate early on Saturday morning. But the Sunday Mirror understands the move was planned before Mr Sunak’s popularity nosedived this week.

The family are making the move because their eldest daughter is about to go into her final term of primary school, the Mirror understands. They want to be nearer to her school for the last few months before she goes to boarding school.

Mr Sunak is expected to split his evenings between the Downing Street flat and their Kensington home, but continue to work from Number 11. (1)

(1) I wonder if he’ll invite his mates around to No 11 to watch the footie with beer and pizza on his “solo” evenings … :thinking:

Mrs Rishi is probably fed up with being in a poky flat probably accustomed to more palatial residences.

Indeed … they have a small estate in Yorkshire:

The multi-millionaire Chancellor and his wife are to build a mini leisure complex in the grounds of their £2million manor house in Yorkshire.

Councillors have approved plans for a new building on farmland to house a swimming pool, gym and shower facilities, along with an adjoining outdoor tennis court.

Not a bad little pad ( and they have three other homes )
One rule for our government ( them) and another for the the little people .( us )

No, Muddy, if they can afford to buy a place like that then good for them. Just because we can’t shows just a little bit of the little green-eyed monster coming out?

2 Likes

Smearing my wife to get at me is awful, says Sunak
I agree.

1. Labour has said the row rases questions about Mr Sunak’s judgement…

2. Labour has previously advocated scrapping non-dom status entirely, under previous leaders Ed Miliband and Jeremy Corbyn.

2 Likes

No it does not , that old green eyed monster excuse doesn’t wash I couldn’t care less what sort of house they buy . It’s the way that the present government which is made up of rich people who make rules that affect the little people .
The little people have to pay taxes and everything has gone up haven’t you noticed but consider themselves abouve these rules . I am not now referring to Richie Sunak who as I see it has done nothing illegal but the rest of the privileged crew .

2 Likes

I was self-employed most of my working life, never got rich, some years earning no more than the UK average salary. But I always had an accountant to advise on “loopholes” and fill in the forms.

10% of the UK workforce is self-employed, anyone with any sense would employ an accountant, even for one day a year.

People on PAYE have always got a raw deal.

1 Like