Rishi Sunak faces questions over wife Akshata Murty's non-dom tax status

And from July they won’t have to pay any NI either.

Disadvantages of being self-employed:

Don’t get paid holiday money
Don’t get paid sick leave
Don’t get paid maternity/paternity leave
No employer to pay contributions into pension funds.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Rishi Sunak has referred himself to Boris Johnson’s ethics watchdog as he continues to face questions about his family’s financial affairs.

The chancellor wants Lord Geidt - the PM’s adviser on ministers’ interests - to check if he followed the rules.

Mr Sunak said he was “confident” Lord Geidt - who also investigated allegations about Mr Johnson’s refurbishment of his Downing Street flat - would find he had appropriately declared all his interests.

I have no doubt that Lord Geidt’s findings will be those disclosed to him (see Wallpapergate) … :wink:

At least Rishi paid for his own wallpaper !

1 Like

@Muddy , l doubt it?
I think he left the old stuff up ?
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

Apparently not they refurbished no 11 .

@Omah , Rishi is obviously short circuiting any further discussion on
the subject !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Hi

No II Flat has been the residence of the Prime Minister since Cameron became PM.

May also lived in it and so does Boris.

It was the flat at No11 which Boris had refurbished at huge cost.

The Chancellor lives in the flat at No10.

No 10 does not look very big from the front, it is deceptive, it has 100 rooms but a small flat.

No 11 is a smaller house, but a much better flat.

but No.10, 11, 12 and more property behind are all interconnected: the same property.

Whatever Number flat they live in, which I think is above No 10, it’s a fact that Dishy Rishi and his lovely rich wife refurbished the Grace and Favour Downing Street apartment they moved into entirely at their own expense.

Hi

I have a different view, not unusual for me.

Taxation should be all about fairness.

Most people are on PAYE, so have no escape.

The genuine self employed are on a different system.

I do not begrudge this, builders, sparkies etc spend an awful of time and money on non productive working, such as home visits, measuring up, ordering etc.

They also pay for their own office space and expenses.

They should be able to claim for this.

Now for the abuse of the system.

Zero hours contracts used for cheap labour and higher profits for huge companies.

NHS Consultants doing Private Work and self employed, locum GPs.

A right fiddle.

Then the big fiddles, enjoyed by the very rich, Non Dom Status, Trust Funds in Tax Havens so that they never pay Inheritance Tax.

Charity Status.

Eaton College is a Charity, but in reality it isn’t.

Payment in dividends, which have a much lower tax rate.

This is wrong, the rich are paying a much smaller percentage of tax than the rest of us.

The loopholes need to be closed and this can be done by Rishi, it is his job to do so.

Do I avoid paying Tax?

Well, not on my Income, all mine comes from the Government and is taxed at source.

I do avoid it on my expenditure.

I pay cash in hand to my Carers and to the locals when I need a job done.

I am happy with that, it is only small amounts of money and to those who need it.

I would have to live over a 1000 years to save in one year what Rishi Sunak’s wife has been saving in a year.

A tenner for a bit of Ironing or lifting stuff round the back to those who need it is fine by me.

A Fiver for some enterprising teenager to cut the back lawn or nip to Lidle or Aldi, it only takes them 20 minutes is great value.

2 Likes

Rishy Sunak , known as ‘Richy’ Sunak from now on ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:!

I think that figure of 10% has increased since covid and of course anyone employing a business accountant will be able to claim the fees as a business expense, so they will be a deductible. All of my income including pensions are not viable for PAYE due to the complex nature, so I employ an accountant to sort out and forward my returns. Her fees are a deductible, so in effect the treasury pays for my accountant … quite right too :+1:

1 Like

There is no tax to pay on dividends if they arise from an ISA. After that, there is a £2,000/yr allowance before you start paying any taxes on dividends. Then it becomes complicated because your dividends are added to your salary/pension/other income and you could be taxed at much higher rates, as I understand it from here:

I thought it was common knowledge know he was the richest man in government .

I thought that epithet applied to Steven Kinnock?

You know what thought did ……

The question for a Government Minister and his wife’s tax is not what is legal, but what is right and fair. The measures of competence start with a Minister’s understanding of what is perceived as right and fair. Somehow, the argument ‘…it is a legal loophole.’ does not cut it. Sending money to offshore accounts for paper-based ‘Companies.’ is another example of the unfairness of our tax system. Corporate companies ‘negotiating’ with HMRC to decide on how much tax they pay is another. For too long our tax system has been designed, unfairly, to let the rich away with paying their fair share of taxes. It is time to drain the swamp of this parasitical drain on our beleaguered economy.

1 Like

Well said … :+1:

Chancellor Rishi Sunak and his wife Akshata Murty have made the Sunday Times Rich List of the UK’s wealthiest 250 people for the first time. Their joint £730m fortune ranks them at 222 of the paper’s annual list.

The Sunday Times said the couple had made their first appearance on the Rich List now because it was only able to confirm Ms Murty’s stake in her father’s business over the last year.

The latest ranking of the 250 richest people in Britain also revealed a record 177 billionaires in the UK this year, the Sunday Times said. Overall, the richest individuals and families in the UK this year are worth £711bn, an 8% rise on last year’s £658bn.

The expanding fortunes of Britain’s wealthiest people comes amid a growing cost of living crisis, with UK inflation rising sharply to 9% in the year to April - meaning prices are rising at their fastest rate for 40 years.

The “legitimate” wealth of the the UK’s richest is barely keeping pace with inflation - the rest of us have got no chance … :frowning_face: