RIP Bob Newhart

I’d almost forgotten about him, yes, he was very funny in his day.

2 Likes

What a great guy who provided us so much relaxing, bright humor. I used to watch The Bob Newhart show being filmed regularly back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a free and very fun way to spend an evening. I spoke with him only once, but he was genuinely affable and seemed so different than other Hollywood types - family centered, humble, and ordinary in a good way, despite being quite gifted. I happened to be on set when he left the stage when he got the news that his last child was born. He lit up like a Christmas tree and stopped long enough to explain and ask forgiveness from the audience. Good guy, great actor, funny comedian who produced television that could be enjoyed and watched by the whole family. We need more people in entertainment like him.

3 Likes

He probably wasn’t a household name over here.
I remember playing with my parents record (fidelity) player as a kid. The button down mind of Bob Newhart doesn’t exactly spring to mind but I’m sure it was on twelve inch vinyl, that was the pleasure of having a rummage through your parents record collection, tangible, who’s going to wax lyrical about downloads in days to come…

3 Likes

I heard him on the BBC quite a lot in the olden days.Al Read used to do similar monologues too.

1 Like

I used to watch The Bob Newhart show when I was younger. Not my type of humor but I liked his laid back style.

1 Like