Red squirrels to thrive again

UK is surrounded by sea Tiff? Could we use that as a start and work
from there? It sounds like a good case for gene editing?
You sound like you are doing a good job in Hayling island, keep it
up! We could use you as a base for re-establishing the reds once we
have edited the greys out of the equation?
Regards Donkeyman!

I didn’t know you had reds on the Isle of Wight. I’ve only seen them on Brownsea island. I am glad that reds are still there. Greys can get on ferries on their own, hope the island PTB monitor that?

No idea where you got Hayling island from & eradicating greys is not what I said either.

Somewhere we have never visited, a perfect choice for a weekend break

We don’t need to kill to conserve

We need to show a bit more respect to this highly successful species and there are alternative options to culling. We could start by managing forests to favour conifers (which reds prefer) over deciduous trees (the grey’s favourite).

The resurgence of the native pine marten could also swing the balance in favour of reds over greys. A conservation success story in itself, these ferret-like predators were recently spotted in England for the first time in more than a century. In areas of Ireland where pine martens are thriving, grey squirrels have almost disappeared, allowing reds to reestablish themselves.

Some would describe the grey squirrel as criminal. Others would describe the way they are treated by humans as criminal.

The resurgence of the native pine marten could also swing the balance in favour of reds over greys. A conservation success story in itself, these ferret-like predators were recently spotted in England for the first time in more than a century. In areas of Ireland where pine martens are thriving, grey squirrels have almost disappeared, allowing reds to reestablish themselves.

As long as pine martens don’t threaten the reds let the predators have a field day with the greys … :smiley:

The Pine Marten is a pretty formidable animal it also kills birds ( and chickens if it can get them ) and takes their eggs.

Preferable than the barbaric torture by humans.

The grey squirrel is not so different from the red. How would we feel if we were to trap, poison and shoot the red squirrel? Greys did not come over here of their own accord and did not ask to be introduced. Neither do they have any control over the pox that they carry. They do what they do; which is to be grey squirrels. In response, what we do, is kill them by the tens of thousands, year after year. The killing is “humane” – but how free of pain and suffering is it for the squirrels? We poison them. We trap them. We shoot them. We bludgeon them to death.

How many dead greys is a live red worth? The success of this sustained massacre is debatable. Nobody seriously believes that the grey squirrel could be exterminated in the UK. A report by Stephen Harris and colleagues at the University of Bristol concluded that culling greys to save reds is neither viable nor economic. Harris has instead suggested that we should move the reds to protected islands and let nature take its course on the mainland. We could save ourselves a lot of time, money and effort by not persecuting grey squirrels.

I must say the thought of killing anything by barbarous methods such as poison is anathema to anyone with any compassion for sentient beings.
If this gene therapy helps reduce their numbers it would appear to be a fairly humane way of control.

Can scientists be sure it will not cause unexpected mutations, interfering experimentation is a worry. We must accept human ignorance is to blame for this.

[SIZE=“3”]Indian giant squirrel with dazzling, multicolored fur:[/SIZE]

Amazing creature.

Gene editing could be used to rid Britain of other invasive species, such as mink and muntjac deer.

Scary, only time will tell.

Gene editing does not kill the animal Cinders, thats why l suggested
it??
They just become infertile!
Donkeyman!

Sorry about misnaming your island Tiffany, dont know what
happened there?
I used to know a girl there long ago?
Donkeyman!
Think l got Cinderella mixed up with Tiffany! OMG!

The aim is to wipe them out, yet scientists are experimenting
with cloning to bring back the dodo. Meddling because they can, not concerned with whether they should.

These are an invasive species not natural to the UK.

Not my island though I wish it was, must be worth a fortune.:lol:

Brought here by people, not an invading army.

EU diktat. Invasive Species Order 2019: consultation opens - GOV.UK

Doubtful government would consult about Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

https://www.arcticbiodiversity.is/the-report/chapters/invasive-species-human-induced

Human activity spreading problems to remote areas where it really will cause a global change.

Human use are likely to increase the susceptibility of Arctic ecosystems to invasion.