Recycling plastics does not work, says Boris Johnson

I see his point …

Plasticise the world and recycle it is not the answer.

And this recycling of household waste is overrated:

It just doesn’t happen, householders can’t be bothered, binmen can’t be bothered, recycling plants separate some, it get dumped in a third world country where it gets dumped in the sea.

4 Likes

When on holiday in Europe I have noticed that their veg and fruit has been offered loose in supermarkets for years. It doesn’t look as fresh though. There must be a middle ground where you can have packaging but without the plastic waste.

1 Like

FWIW there was a plastics company near Swindon that made plastics out of waste. It was a large extruder. I remember the vast wastes of waste material. Think it was about 1975.

1 Like

@Besoeker , Yes it can be mixed with sawdust and extruded
into various sizes of timber of virtually any length required !!
This timber / plastic does not rot and is ideal for outside
use without any further treatment !
I have no idea why it never caught on ??
Most likely established vested interests ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

That could be. I’ll try to remember the company name - Aphasia still afflicts me…:frowning:

not profitable?

@AnnieS , Do you mean plastics would not be profitable if
this caught on Annie ??
The machinery to produce this plastic/wood is identical to the
machinery for plastics, but the materials are for free !!
In fact people may even pay you to take them away ??
The waste plastics used don’t even need sorting out ?
Can you imagine your window frames and outside decks
lasting forever and not need treating every year !!
Maybe that is the problem ???
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I’m guessing it never caught on because it was not considered profitable.

There’s a cost/benefit for the planet too if something recycled is going to have a bigger carbon footprint than not bothering. Do people want plastic wood on their patio? It seems a bit like artificial grass.

@AnnieS , Not so Annie, this recycled plastic/timber is nothing
like the plastic window frames we use allready and cannot be
recognised as plastic without touching it( it is slightly more
flexible than most natural woods, ) lts colour is mahogany but
probably can be anything, and it is colour fast and does not
fade or swell with the weather!!
Its main disadvantage imo is that too many companies are
involved with producing traditional wood products and
preservative treatments etc for them ??
May l ask you, do you have plastic double glazing on your house?
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::+1:

It was abandoned due to the highly toxic fumes from a house fire. A good replacement product is Marley’s Eternit which I know is very durable as I have my music workshop clad with it. APP20180018_5_Brochure for cladding.pdf (burnley.gov.uk)

I suppose in all this Boris paranoid chatterGuardian, Remainer inspired hatred, would it be too much to point out that the the point he was trying to make was; Many sorts of plastics are only able to go be recycled three or four times before they become useless and have to be thrown away. Far better to reduce our dependence on plastics all together.

2 Likes

Surely you don’t actually expect the Guardian to report anything as it was intended by the orator.

That is true of paper also. There are processes that use this plastic at the end of it’s life even if it is only something like road base.

Then what? Doesn’t that rather prove my point Bruce?

We live in hope :grinning:

Not just sawdust Donks. Even on its own, scrap plastic (even mixed colours) can be extruded into lengths and used as planks to make decking or fence panels.

I’ve just read through this thread. Although I had heard of cellophane, I had never really thought about it’s composition. It really does seem to be the ideal replacement for at least some plastics.

My plastic triple gazing has extruded scrap plastic reinforcing inside the body sections and made by Eurocell.

Ditto in my double glazing.

1 Like

Only just come across this thread.

If your veg is wrapped in plastic don’t forget you can recycle it, don’t just throw it away!