Raising the age for free NHS prescriptions?

To some, perhaps. To them, they are simply tax avoiders. This practice has been going on for donkeys and I can’t see an end to it because these companies employ some very, very intelligent and gifted accountants and tax lawyers.

Lawyers & accountants, no matter how good have no real impact on the law. However, the fact many of these companies have politicians in their pockets does.

Teresa May gave an election promise that she intended to stop tax avoidence & then did not. And I am sure the fact that her husband is employed by a company that advises on how not to pay tax, had absolutely no part to play in her breaking that election promise.

Tax avoidance could largely be stopped within months, if politicians cared about it.

1 Like

No, I don’t think the age limits for free prescriptions should be raised - the Government should be moving towards equality across all countries of the UK instead of making the differences greater.
I think there’s something wrong with the funding system that allows all the devolved governments of the countries in UK to give all their citizens free medication while only citizens in England have to pay, unless they are in an exempt class.

I don’t wish to sound mean but it doesn’t seem fair to me - and while I’m on, isn’t it time the Barnett Formula was re-jigged a bit to make it fairer for poorer regions in England?
I understand that some areas in parts of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland may need a bit of extra funding but you have to wonder how their govts can afford to fund more social welfare measures (prescriptions, personal healthcare, student tuition) than the English Government offer their citizens - or maybe the devolved governments’ priorities are different?

I completely agree.
I have never been happy that the Scots and Welsh have had free prescriptions, yet the North of England has been ignored.
I can only assume that, in common with many other people in the South of England, the North is a bit of a mystery, and that many of them are even unaware of the North! In any event, I’m sure they are unaware that there is a greater proportion of poorer people in the North than in the South.

By all means have free prescriptions for the Scots and the Welsh, but offer the same to us Northerners.