Rainbows are Circular

Rainbows are full circles, not semicircles – it’s just that from the ground you can usually only see their upper half. From the air, as this video from skydiver Anthony Killeen shows, the full circle can be seen in all its glory.
The Knowledge
You tube video added

6 Likes

Not everyone’s convinced.

1 Like

Well, I’ll go to the foot of our stairs … :astonished:

1 Like

Video? Judging by the other comments, I might not be the only person who can’t see the video. Without that, it’s hard to be persuaded.

1 Like

Here’s a photo:

That rounds things off nicely! The thrilling moment a skydiver soars over a rare rainbow in the shape of a perfect circle

• British expat Anthony Killeen saw the 360-degree rainbow in New Zealand
  • He was skydiving with an instructor when they spotted it mid-descent
  • All rainbows are in fact circular, but can’t often be seen from the ground
4 Likes

Well you learn something new everyday.
I love seeing a rainbow,especially a double one.

1 Like

Here’s one I shot some time ago - the “double” is just visible on the right.

Click to enlarge.

4 Likes

Ah bless you Omah.
Thank you.

For the skeptics among us, this is the science of why we can only see half the rainbow.

1 Like

Well, I never knew that!

But I’ve decided not to believe it in anyway because what about the pit of gold at the end of the rainbow and those poor leprachauns?

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Of course they are circular, it is all geometry

That 42° is also the maximum angle the sun can be above the horizon (obviously that doesn’t apply to an airborne viewer.)

1 Like

Now I’ll never forget that next time I see a rainbow

1 Like

I’ve seen a full circle of rainbow around the sun three times. These occur when clouds were coming in to cover the sun. When the front arrives they can form around the sun.

Each time I’ve seen one it was followed by heavy snow

1 Like

I have seen that too and also around the moon - I think the geometry of that is different because it is caused by ice crystals and I vaguely remember reading that the refractive index isn’t the same as raindrops.

1 Like

Wonder if this means the pot of Gold is actually in the middle :lol:

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that mean that in more cases, you’d be standing on it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe that’s what it means, you are the pot of gold :003:

2 Likes