Queues at Dover

Hi

Massive queues at Dover, town is gridlocked.

Our Politicians hurling abuse at the French.

French response, you voted leave, you knew you would no longer be able to arrive seamlessly and that your passports would n have to be stamped.

You had years to build new border posts to minimise the disruption but chose not to

We are not doing anything different to what you are doing to EU citizens.

The end of Free Movement means exactly that, checks and delays

2 Likes

I hope the British people avoid going to EU , and find alternative Holiday destinations or even holiday at home . It will then hit the pockets of the French same as it did Spain when Covid was on going .

2 Likes

Is the EU not simply enforcing necessary border checks for people from a non-EU country entering into their territory? The checks at busy ports are likely to be significantly simplified from the technical requirements of evidence of sufficient funds, evidence of return travel plans, evidence of accommodation, etc. and just the more rapid passport check and stamping.
Its something about controlling one’s borders.

1 Like

Calais is awful.

@Cinderella Ive no idea what Calais is like never been to Europe ,
What strikes me with the queues is the amount of people going , I thought inflation was hitting everyone, and they couldn’t afford to put food on the table , and was taking hand outs from the Goverment .

3 Likes

Hi

Still cheaper to take the family abroad for a week or two than go on holiday in the UK.

UK prices are very high

2 Likes

I agree with Strathmore, you can’t spend 5 years shouting about how you want to protect yourself from all these pesky foreigners intent on invading you then complain when other countries do exactly the same thing.

1 Like

Hi

It is what we voted for, taking back control of Borders.

The French are doing it , they put their plans into action.

We, who wanted control, are not doing it to everyone landing here.

The French think it is very funny.

If you fly to the EU there is no more fast tracking through Immigration, you join the queue and wait.

1 Like

Shame they’re not so fast to check on those leaving France on the migrant ferries.

10 Likes

To be fair that is not usually a problem, most countries give you at least a 14 to 30 day visa at the border without question (not Australia, Myanmar or Vietnam I hasten to add)

France is one place I have never had any desire to go to. They seem not to like the British and I always remember when they poured millions of apples over the roads in protest.

Also we have paid them millions to help stop the economic migrants coming here and they have done absolutely nothing.

They see the dinghies on the beaches and people climbing into them and they do absolutely nothing. They stand and watch!! They should go and puncture the dinghies, job done.

1 Like

Oh, you are missing so much, France is a wonderful country to visit and the best sounding language… Even the weather forecast in French sounds so sexy.

As for not liking the British, just consider how you feel about American tourists in general and you can then understand the French.

1 Like

For UK citizens, we don’t need a Visa to travel into the Schengen Area and we can stay up to 90 days, providing we have a valid passport.

What slows us down a bit at border controls is that we now have to go through the full passport control instead of whizzing through the fast track lane for EU members.

In practice, I haven’t found this a problem at airports in Europe - they need to scan and stamp your passport - I presume that’s so they can check you’re not on a “wanted list” and to monitor your date of arrival and departure.
I have seen the Border Staff asking some people for more details about their journey and return plans etc but the majority of the people in the queue get through passport control pretty quickly.

I think anyone attempting to travel through Dover just after the UK schools break up for the Summer hols must be barmy - even when our kids were at school over 30 years ago, getting to the Dover ferries in the school holidays was a nightmare - especially in the first week after the kids broke up from school.

2 Likes

Dover is allready functioning normally again !!
Folkestone has become the focus of disruption now with problems in
the channel tunnel !!
Strange how Dover got back to normal once the French deployed more
officials and manned more exit gates ??
In one video l saw there were about five gates with closed signs displayed !!
Our freinds from the other side are not playing ball ??
:-1::frowning::frowning::-1:

1 Like

Hi

Why should they stop migrants leaving?

They don’t want them anymore than we do.

It is up to us to protect ourselves, not others.

3 Likes

Because we have paid them to do their bit!!

1 Like

I’m sure I’m not. It just never appeals to me. If it did I would have gone long ago. :wink:

Hi

One of my main reasons for voting leave was to stop our Politicians doing nothing and blaming the EU.

I have been sadly disappointed,.

We are out of the EU, but have still not taken back control of our Borders.

We have had years to prepare and have not even got the basics yet and are still years away from having them.

4 Likes

Then you are missing out on a delightful country. Up to you of course, there are many delightful places to visit so France need not be on your list.
But let me correct you on a couple of things. The French do not hate the British. There are things the British do that they are bemused by. There are some Brits who do not understand how things work in France and they will be corrected. But that is not ‘hating the British’. Anymore than they dislike all the Dutch holiday makers. The world is not set against the UK.
And the French I know are very friendly and helpful. I live by a small village and have been made enormously welcome. Next weekend is one of the village fetes and I will be amongst friends, eating, drinking and helping out. Please, do not create prejudice where none exists.
Exception to the above: France vs England at rugby. As a local said me “that is not a game, that is war”

3 Likes

If i made holidays in France, bought a dinghi and the police were preventing me from using it on the beach, i think they would not have the legal right to do that.
Buying dinghies and using them is legal in France.