Quality Street axes famous plastic wrappers on chocolates after 86 years as part of green drive

It’s a skill, isn’t it…not breaking it. Especially the multipacks :roll_eyes: By the time I wrestle to get them open I’ve gone off the idea and go for a garabaldi!

1 Like

Ah, the joys when the foil and chocolate had fused together, and you try to eat it and spit the metal out.

1 Like

This makes me wince! :scream:

1 Like

Happy days. Has it never happened to you?

No…I don’t have fillings and I think that makes it worse (according to a friend of mine who clutched her face in agony after she ate metalised kitkats) :flushed: Many swear words happened.

2 Likes

Your friend will be pleased to know Kitkats have also changed wrappings to a recycled recyclable plastic . I’m not sure I like the idea of recycled plastic jacket covering my chocolate :chocolate_bar:

2 Likes

Don’t worry @Ripple , they’ll have wiped the plastic over with an old rag with a bit of flash or cillit bang on it.

1 Like

Well…I think that was the last KitKat she ever ate :astonished:

1 Like

So, this is what they look like. Bright colours and shiny, but not sparkly :frowning:

The end of an era! :cry:

3 Likes

Yes, they do look a bit joyless by comparison :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Did you go and buy them Maree, purely for research purposes? :joy:

I’m not overly thrilled, but its marginally better than I had in mind. Still a bit of colour, and still chocolate I suppose. But no rustles or sparkles. They just look flat :frowning_face:

But what do they taste like Ms Maree…that’s the important question.
Have you been tempted to try ?

They look yummy to me

They look waxy … :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Well lets hope the chocolate taste hasn’t changed :thinking:

1 Like

I’m no expert - the chocolate may be the same but the flavours aren’t:

The brand was acquired by Nestlé when they bought Rowntree Mackintosh in 1988.

If you bought a tin this year, the chocolates that you would find are as follows:

The Purple One; The Green Triangle; Toffee Finger; Strawberry Delight; Caramel Swirl; Milk Choc Block; Orange Chocolate Crunch; Orange Creme; Fudge; Coconut Eclair; Toffee Penny and Chocolate Caramel Brownie.

Unsurprisingly, given that the brand has been around for the best part of 85 years, there have been many flavours that had to be sacrificed to make way for the current crop.

It’s worth noting that many of these experienced minor alterations while others were dropped altogether.

These include:

Purple One (the original ‘Purple One’ with Brazil nut, replaced with hazelnut version)

Chocolate Strawberry Cream (now replaced with Strawberry Delight)

Chocolate Toffee Cup (now replaced with Caramel Swirl)

Hazelnut Cracknell (red wrapper)

Hazelnut Eclair

Honeycomb crunch (discontinued in 2018 to re-introduce Toffee Deluxe)

Chocolate Nut Toffee Cream

Malt Toffee (replaced with Toffee Deluxe as a “new” flavour)

Milk Chocolate Round (now replaced with Milk Choc Block in green wrapper)

Peanut Cracknell (blue wrapper)

Almond Octagon (purple wrapper, replaced with Vanilla Octagon, but the latter is now discontinued as well)

Gooseberry Cream (green wrapper, light green fondant with a touch of Gooseberry Preserve covered in milk chocolate)

Fig Fancy (light brown wrapper)

Apricot Delight (blue wrapper, square chunk, apricot flavoured jelly covered in milk chocolate)

Toffee Square (metallic pink wrapper, a small square of very hard toffee)

Chocolate Truffle (brown square chunk, a soft truffle filling covered in milk chocolate)

Montelimar Nougat

Harrogate Toffee

Fruits of the Forest Creme (pale purple wrapper)

Smarties (ordinary cardboard box of Smarties, a 2004 promotion only)

Coffee Cream (brown wrapper, same size and shape as the strawberry cream)

Mint Fondant (pale green wrapper, same as strawberry crème but with a mint crème filling)

Toffee Deluxe (replaced by Honeycomb Crunch, reintroduced and then replaced by Chocolate Caramel Brownie)

Crispy Truffle Bite (John Lewis stores only, black and gold recyclable foil)

I liked the ones with the paper “seal” … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

They look like the sort of fake think you’d buy in a souk in Tunisia.

I’d like to try them all for comparision :smiley:

1 Like

I had to slightly chuckle at the discrepancy between the ad:

and Maree’s photo

I don’t think you could get the lid back on in the ad

2 Likes

They are just taking care of our health for us Bruce :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Not deep fried I trust :wink: