Quality of food - getting worse?

This made me chuckle OG lol

1 Like

Was just about to post a thread about this but our bot told me we already have this one :003:

Anyway, was going to ask - when did you guys notice the decline in quality/adulteration of food?

It seems to be eroding more quickly than ever, and it’s not just taste - you can ‘see’ the difference. Ginger - looks extremely pale/lifeless, same with garlic - and they don’t have the same intensity of smell (not to mention flavour!) as well. Even coriander - the stems are thicker, less leaves and even the leaves seem ‘crispy’ instead of soft and a lighter green instead of a deeper one.

Again, it’s all down to greed - if you go to independent grocers (particularly those who are aimed at ethnic minorities) they appear to have retained quality, but it’s these large supermarkets who seem to be watering down our produce. Even Waitrose is just as bad now.

I feel sorry for the younger generation (your grandchildren, if you have them) I hate to imagine how devoid of nutrition their diets are, not through their own doing (many try to eat as healthy as they can) but because of the greedy supermarket bosses, pushing sub-standard food on them.

Reminds me of this:

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

No I havent really noticed any difference.

Home grown tomatoes for example do taste better than supermarket ones - but that has always been the case, not a new thing.

1 Like

Looking at it from another angle we have a greater variety of foods available than every before. Okay, so it might involve a bit of 'shopping around ’ but perhaps we’ve become a bit lazy without even realising and expect everything to be hunky dory in the nearest mega sized supermarket? I’m not suggesting that retailers should try and flog us second and third rate produce however, wouldn’t want anyone to make me eat my own words! :wink:

Just noticed you are in Australia - I imagine most of your produce is grown locally there? Here in the UK we import so much because a lot of the stuff we want does not grow here.

Personally I am comparing to the same food items from the same supermarket (Waitrose - they used to be excellent but they are becoming more and more like Tesco, sadly).

2 Likes

Yep, I agree Azz, it does seem to be getting quite ‘samey’, not only the quality of the food but the actual shopping experience itself.

2 Likes

Azz, Yes I am from Australia. some things like tomatoes/strawberries/grapes would definitely be grown locally.
Other things would be imported and things like bananas, though not imported from another country, are travelling from Queensland to me in South Australia which is a long distance
Other things like oranges are grown locally i n season - but imported other times of year. We have mandarines from US in shop at the moment and they grow locally here i n winter.
(My own grow extremely locally - on my own tree in my own backyard :rofl:)

1 Like

The quality of the fruit and veg is getting poor at my local Asda. … i blame this on the recent change to NOT having to show any dates on fresh veggie produce.
It’s a licence for them to dump inferior food onto us.

2 Likes

It doesn’t help when much of our fruit/vegetables are produced in much the same way as cars are made, in factories:

1 Like